Menu
Compbck
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Windows 10 Tip: Place Internet Shortcut on Taskbar

I had a request yesterday from a customer who wanted her BT email Desktop shortcut placed on her taskbar. She stated that she could not drag and drop it to the taskbar as she could in Windows 7.

She was correct, in Windows 7 / 8 it was comparatively easy to drag that Web-based Desktop Icon such as an email shortcut to the taskbar,  However, not so with Windows 10, but by following the simple steps below users that have encountered such a problem, should be able to overcome this issue.

Firstly, visit the Webpage required (using Google Chrome) and from the settings menu (3 dots) select More Tools then Add to Desktop and name the shortcut that appears on the Desktop.

Then go to the Start Menu and under the Recently Added Heading the above shortcut should be visible.

Drag the icon to the right-hand (tiles) menu, then right-click on the icon and select more then choose Pin to Taskbar.

You should now have the Internet linked shortcut on the taskbar.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Windows 10 Tip: Place Internet Shortcut on Taskbar

Thanks for that but it just reaffirms what I already think about Windows 10.  Microsoft should be making trivial tasks like that easier not making people jump through hoops and multiple processes to achieve what was and still is so simple and elegant in the superb Windows 7.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I couldn't agree more with you Dave.

Not a week goes by that I do not get a request from a customer asking how to do what used to be considered a simple task in previous versions of Windows, but seems not to be the case with Windows 10.

Most users want simplicity (so do I), but Windows 10 seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

shanematthews
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Compbck wrote:

I had a request yesterday from a customer who wanted her BT email Desktop shortcut placed on her taskbar. She stated that she could not drag and drop it to the taskbar as she could in Windows 7.

She was correct, in Windows 7 / 8 it was comparatively easy to drag that Web-based Desktop Icon such as an email shortcut to the taskbar,  However, not so with Windows 10, but by following the simple steps below users that have encountered such a problem, should be able to overcome this issue.

Firstly, visit the Webpage required (using Google Chrome) and from the settings menu (3 dots) select More Tools then Add to Desktop and name the shortcut that appears on the Desktop.

Then go to the Start Menu and under the Recently Added Heading the above shortcut should be visible.

Drag the icon to the right-hand (tiles) menu, then right-click on the icon and select more then choose Pin to Taskbar.

You should now have the Internet linked shortcut on the taskbar.

Well the thing is, the default action it takes is actually more clutter free than the way 7 used to do it, pin the browser to the taskbar, which i assume the user probably already has done, then drag the shortcut as normal, it will say "pin to <browser>" now if you open the browser and right click the icon you will see the pinned shortcut at the top, its actually better than having multiple icons for the exact same task which is what you would get if you pinned more than a single shortcut to the taskbar, so might be better to get people to adapt rather than try a messy workaround for something that the OS supports natively http://i.imgur.com/etuKnmY.png shows where the pinned shortcut ends up on the right click menu, it is a much cleaner way of doing it, alternatively, teach your client about this new miraculous feature we call "bookmarks" Smiley Tongue

J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My significant other, has learned to use bookmarks and she has no issues and finds it easier and logical, it's by far the better option, however placing the internet shortcut on the task bar also works well
0 Kudos