Menu
umkomazi
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Win 10 Update

An update to Windows software has caused problems for personal computer users trying to connect to the internet. Several European internet service providers (ISPs) have highlighted the problem, which can strike regardless of the type of router box or the particular ISP in use. Virgin Media has issued detailed advice to customers on how to reconnect. Microsoft has also offered guidance to those experiencing difficulties. "Some customers using Windows 10 have reported difficulties connecting to the internet," said a spokeswoman for Microsoft. "As a first step, we recommend customers restart their PCs. "If this does not resolve the problem, visit our website for further support."

OK.....you can't get online.....so please explain how to "visit the website" will work??

One more reason to avoid Win10 like the plague!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Win 10 Update

Or as VM has said 50 per cent of the traffic to this Forum now comes from mobile devices which are unaffected by this issue. So for lots of people they can get the advice they need. But your overall conclusion about win 10 and MS's forced updates can't be challenged.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/14/microsoft_windows_10_dhcp/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

umkomazi wrote:

OK.....you can't get online.....so please explain how to "visit the website" will work??

Simply  set a static IP address in network adaptor properties. that bypasses the DHCP bug so you can et back online, download the update which fixes it properly, & then you can go back to using DHCP is you wish

Actually you are being a tad disingenuous. You are posting here  so clearly you have a device that can still get online. Use that to download the fix & copy it to the offline PC

and you can block all w10 updates, even in win10 home which has no group policy- use the registry hack that I posted some time back, to fool windows into thinking that your  connection is metered. it will then not download any updates without your explicit override

it is a simple hack, easy to google for

0 Kudos
BrianY
Superfast
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I must be one of the lucky ones!
Trying to do an earlier update (includes KB3206632), stuck on 95% for 1hr and doing nothing further.
I wouldn't mind but the download noticed to be painfully slow, baring in mind I am on 200Mb gamer.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

the % can mislaead, it may be doing several at once & has finished all but one, or there's a hidden box waiting for you to say OK

it's usually safe to force a reboot anyway & see if it sorts itself out

http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3206632-obviously-hit-by-installation-...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The solution I found to all of the problems Win 10 creates was buy an older version of Windows and I then reformatted my computer to it.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nah - the "solution" is to own at least 2 PCs and only update one at a tim Smiley Happy,- then you can google for help on the other if one goes  goes bad,

given that

1. w10 is the most secure of all windows to date and 

2. you can block all updates pas per an earlier post it's not that bad. I left Au blocked for several weeks while I worked up the nerve to go for it.

and for this latest problematic KB - right after my last post I saw I had a restart pending for that... ( gulp) ...

so i chose update and restart and nervously went away to slowly make a cup of coffee. 

All ok when I got back !

i will also admit to building a separate test rig for the W0 preview before committing to it elsewhere. That  had such a blazingly fast boot time ( faster than any of the current production versions ) that I decided it was worth having -f or  that  - and for the pretty new themes ( I'm a sucker for new colour schemes )

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I always have my hard drive "cloned", so if anything like this happens to me, I can revert back to the pre-update state within around half hour.

I re-clone (onto an external drive) everytime an update happens, whenever a windows 10 update, software vendor update, or whatever.

For me, this works well, but may not be for everyone

cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

a full clone is too much hassle for me, I go with data iun multiple locations - !"irreplaceable" stuff like family photo into lots of locations.

plus I max out the various free clouds,: dropbox, amazon drive., google drive, pcloud... I found that as a prime customer I can upload unlimited photos to my amazon cloud drive, so over to or 3 days I put up ten years of those. so if the house burns down there's still one copy !

but I was suprised recently by how quickly I could create a new win 10 environment with all preferred apps / software etc. I got a PC for my son from ebay - put in a spare 1 TB data drive, and some spare RAM & redid the C drive - taking a system image once all the software was on place

all that only took a couple of hours.. ninite.com is worderful - it will re-install a ton of freeware and deselect  all the bundled crap, so its just 1 click 

https://ninite.com/

Install and Update All Your Programs at Once

No toolbars. No clicking next. Just pick your apps and go.

so if one of ours got totally wrecked by a botched update or my malware I know that a fresh clean install is easy to do 

Once i got organised, I found that very few programs i like have many customisations: foobar2000. calibre, VLC player

So for those  I keep a synced copy of each programs app data folder in cloud. So I can fresh install those programs then copy back all my preferred settings. Same with my outlook folders - I have backup the .pst to dropbox automated.  lass pass has all my passwords, & chrome syncs all my bookmarks and extensions,so I just login in to chrome & last pass on any new PC and everything syncs. all without needing a microsoft account..

i keep all videos and most music off the C drives, so rebuilding plex server etc is simple. if the data drive dies I have everyhing I maigh want to watch/hear again backed up

this pc is now using only 150GB of a 250GB SSD C drive, with sym links for the "my music" and " my video"  folders & for the spotify cache that actually reside on a 2Tb eco drive

0 Kudos