Menu
iSean
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Will TalkTalk / BT playing with my phone box affect my Virgin ?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have been paying for Superfast Fibre Broadband from TalkTalk for about 8 months now, my speed has never gone over 2mb with an 8mb upload (please, don't laugh)

Numerous calls to them and they have never accepted responsibilities so, as myself, wife and children are all gamers and love our netflix / youtubes etc etc I decided to go for Vivid 200 Gamer package from Virgin Media.

This is getting installed tomorrow (Friday 28th) and I am looking forward to some awesome speeds, anything better than 2mb Smiley Wink lol

TalkTalk router broke the other day, called them up, they sent a new one, new one turned up today (day before Vivid 200 Gamer installation) and my plan is, to use Virgin and forget about TalkTalk until the contract is up or I can get out of the TalkTalk contract.

Problem is, the new TT router doesn't connect us to Internet either, lady on phone said that within 48 hours, a BT engineer will come out to look at the exchange and box on our front wall.

This will be 'after' Virgin has installed Vivid 200 Gamer, So my question is, and sorry I've gone around it a long way..

Will BT (or talktalk) playing around with either the Exchange box on the street or the box on my front wall affect my Virgin Media connection I am getting installed tomorrow ?

I am not having Virgin Phone or TV, just 200 Gamer broadband.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Will TalkTalk / BT playing with my phone box affect my Virgin ?

It will have zero effect, the two networks are not connected in any way 

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi iSean,

Virgin Media use an entirely different cable system to other ISPs like TalkTalk who rely on the BT / Openreach infrastructure.  So the answer to your question is No anything they have done will not affect your Virgin Media installation ... but this does raise another question.   Has Virgin Media cable ever been installed in your property before because if not you will probably need a new cable pull from the nearest VM street cabinet and that can take weeks to organise.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

virgin use diff box it has its own infrastructure.
Bt line uses sky, talk talk, vodafone, ee, plusnet thats openreach network

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It will have zero effect, the two networks are not connected in any way 

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi iSean,

Virgin Media use an entirely different cable system to other ISPs like TalkTalk who rely on the BT / Openreach infrastructure.  So the answer to your question is No anything they have done will not affect your Virgin Media installation ... but this does raise another question.   Has Virgin Media cable ever been installed in your property before because if not you will probably need a new cable pull from the nearest VM street cabinet and that can take weeks to organise.

Electron
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

virgin use diff box it has its own infrastructure.
Bt line uses sky, talk talk, vodafone, ee, plusnet thats openreach network

iSean
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Big thanks to dannylau / Dave_cq / DavidJWalker

@ Dave_cq :

I have had virgin before, about 2 or 3 years ago now, when I sign up for Vivid 200 Gamer, it was towards the end of last month.

Since then, I've had 2 sets of engineers out from Virgin, one guy came out about 2 weeks ago, looked at something in the front garden, took a photo of the front door to prove he was there and said another engineer would be come out to "find the link" ?.. whatever that means.

Last Sunday I had two engineers come out, looked around the garden and said "everything is good fella" then left.

I have the cables coming from the garden, through the door frame, down the top of the wall in the hallway to a small silver 'split' box we had before.

On that split box from a cable to the tv and another cable to the router.

I think this is why the sales rep said I needed an engineer to come out because there is no cable from that silver split box in the hallway to the router.

Fingers crossed, the engineer tomorrow will just plug the router in, put the cable from router to silver split box and boobs ya uncle.

Thanks for your help guys.

A quick Google image search and this is the 'splitter' I have above my hallway door: (or similair, I am not home at the moment)
http://image.prntscr.com/image/efbbdb21d0a542b484753ec03cac1c71.png

Chunky white cable from the single end running across the hall and in to the garden.
other two ends (tv / router) have no cables.

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi iSean when they come they do make sure they have the power levels right it is possible they will change that splitter or the cables being replaced inside too but it is 50/50 if you do ask you get things replaced like all the wire becuse i took the old wire away to get new wire from virgin media

iSean
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just thought I would give you all an update Smiley Happy

I was in bed, sleeping when the engineer turned up, I work 12 hour night shifts and didn't get home till 9am, not sure when he arrived however, when I woke up at 15:00 he had already been, installed the router plus cable from splitter to router) updated it etc etc cleaned up his mess.
Not sure if there was any to clean however, there was no mess so I guessed he cleaned up after himself if needed.

I've not fully tested Vivid 200 Gamer out yet as much as I can due to being back at work etc however, I went from TalkTalk giving me 1.52mb to Virgin's 111.39mb .... still not the 200mb as mentioned but as I said, not fully played with it yet.

My PS4 was giving me roughly 60mb download (12.5 up) but the wifi range was only at 87%

Anyway, here is the cracker of it all...

My wife told the engineer about the hassle we had with TT and terrible low speeds etc, after it was all done, he told her that the telephone box/wires had been damaged outside (due to whatever reason) and he had fixed them also Smiley Very Happy

Virgin engineers fixing TalkTalk / BT's errors lmao.

Anyways, thank you all for your help.

Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That was a good result iSean.  Was the 111mbps measured wired or Wi-Fi because you are most unlikely to achieve the full 200mbps via Wi-Fi.  Then there's the capability of whatever device you were using ... can it process 200mbps.  And another possible factor is that the kids are on half-term holidays at the moment huddled over their X Boxes so utilisation is likely to be high and it usually gets worse at the weekends.

Anyway, after you've had a play it will be interesting to hear if you experience any improvement.

Electron
iSean
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

morning Dave Smiley Happy

The 111 was via wifi and using my Sony xperia Z3.

"can it process 200mbps" to be honest, I have no clue Smiley Happy

Next week, I will be getting some cable to hard wire my PS4 / xBox ONE into the router.

Both my sons have PS4's each and my two daughters have PS3's plus mobiles for Periscopes/Twitch etc.. everyone in the house games and online 24/7
Vivid 200 Gamer already seems to be a winner with me however, this school holidays will definitly put the router/connections through their tests Smiley Wink

Hope you have a good weekend mate, if not working, have a beer on me Smiley Happy

DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

you can test it all wired up but duing the weekend you will not the full 200mb abd wired up a pc or a laptop with 1.0 Gbps connection it is possaible but not in peek hours thats 4pm to midnight every weekday and weekends i don't know it is rare you will get full 200mb but virgin media is sorting out the over utilisation but can take over a year to 2 years. but virgin media did say up too 200mb and depends on area faults around i don't know if virgin media will class school holidays peek times.

overhole in my option becuse i am online 24/7 with my private radio station with my online gaming on final fantasy xiv and ps4 online gaming too i don't have disconnection problems but some people had faulty hub 3 if this happen to you in later date you do get unlimited call outs and replacement things within your time with virgin media its not like talk talk/bt line they only put 12 months warranty its unlimited with virgin media make good use of them and take note it does take week or 2 weeks for staff to answer on here if you want someone to come out like fast ring up virgin media cs enjoy being with virgin media internet Smiley Happy