Menu
davetech
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Why do Virginmedia call their workers "engineers"?

Engineers spend many years getting educated and qualified; then they may be able to get acknowledged as Engineers if they successfully become members of the Engineering Council UK (they will be Chartered or Incorporated).

Why do companies say they will send an "engineer" out, when clearly they will be sending out a technician or fitter? 

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do Virginmedia call their workers "engineers"?

Because it makes it look as though; 

A) VM are a 'high tech' company, employing 'skilled, highly qualified 'engineers' ' rather than 'Fred Bloggs' off the street, when VM are definately not 'high tech'

B) it makes it look like these 'engineers' are intelligent and know what they are doing, when most of them haven't a clue.

(FWIW I have 5 City & Guilds and an ONC in engineering plus did a 5 year apprenticeship (a PROPER one too!), so at least know what I am talking about!!)

vircom
Well-informed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The term Engineer has been interpreted this way for as long as I can remember. There were GPO engineers long before cable engineers, although at least the GPO ones had to complete a 3 year apprenticeship. I have known real qualified Engineers who did not use the title because it had such low public esteem.
0 Kudos
Timwilky
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

As a Mechanical Engineer. I hate the misuse of the title.

My younger brother, runs a domestic appliance repair business and has the gall to refer to himself and his son as "Engineers". Never have they undertook a days education since leaving school at age 16.

I was fortunate enough back in the 1970s to start an apprenticeship at age 16 and after completing my ONC, my employers sponsored me to undertake my degree. How todays youth would be jealous. Fees paid, a full grant as having worked for 3 years classed me as self sufficient and no parental income taken into account. Employers sponsorship, full rate vacation employment and use of the company labs/computers whenever I needed. But that amounted to 3 years of part time study followed by a further 3 years of full time study and professional studies. Before I became an "Engineer"

I have worked in many places throughout the world, China, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Dubai, France, Germany, Switzerland. But only in the UK do we let unqualified individuals claim to be "Engineers". No wonder Engineers are thought of being the man with the dirty hands who repairs your car/washing machine/ broadband etc. Whereas, I would argue they are the guys who designed your car, did the stress calcs, the thermal efficiency, the materials analysis/ selection, the design of your network, specification and development of the underlying technologies etc. 

0 Kudos
davetech
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not just me then. Good to hear.

I recently asked (sarcastically) my utilities company whether the engineer they would send round to connect my smart meter would be incorporated or chartered; they had the audacity to say they would send a chartered engineer.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I suppose it's better than calling them the 'fix it men'

Payscale

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I don't think the UK has ever used the term Engineer properly or respected it as a Profession. Terms like railway engineer, GPO engineer telecoms engineer have always been used by the general public to describe what at best were technicians (not that I am trying to belittle a properly qualified technician, which is a whole other misunderstood term). This probably contributes to the reluctance of many to study Engineering subjects and why we are behind countries like Germany in these areas. It does mean that those who do follow an engineering path do so out of a genuine interest and aptitude as few can expect fame or fortune. Just for the record I am not an Engineer but did manage Engineers and technicians.

Likewise the general public have never used/understood the term Doctor properly. Usually they take it to mean a medical doctor, even though this is an honourary term as many do not in fact have a doctorate.
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well in many hospitals the junior doctors serve the role as consultants as there is a shortage and lack of funds Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

A consultant does not have to have a doctorate, as far as I know, so calling the Doctor is also an honourary title.
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It used to be that if you gave yourself tittles of esteem (Honourifics) by adding letters after or words before your name or a job description name that was not lawfully gained, then you were breaking the law.  Honourifics could only be used if they were earned/granted by the systems of society ie education, employment, military, religion and other various bodies of authority.  

0 Kudos