Menu
Highlighted
jaybridge23
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Who does virgin media look after existing customer or new customers more

Just had a very interesting conversation with Virgin Media, I called them to ask when does my contract expire to be advised I currently not in a contract with them so I asked from the full house package I am on now can you price up what the new deal which is showing on the virgin media website.

Full House Bundle

Vivid 200 optical Fibre

Full House TV

Talk Weekends

Virgin Phone line

Two V6 Box's

Total price is £62.50 a month for 12 month when priced up online.

I have on the same package with two Tivo box's and Vivid but paying £79.42 ish a month!

Calling the customer relations number to ask can I be setup on this contract as its a good deal and I get the new up to date equipment. They looked at my account I am a loyal customer but the best deal they can offer me was £69.50 with only one V6 Box and the price online is only for new customers!

Having asked why this was the case when I have been with Virgin Media for over 9 years but the response was just another sorry that is not possible.

Not getting anywhere with them I decided to end the call and tried few days later to speak to them via the online upgrade team chat but you can guess how that went and this is the response I get via online format.

Virgin chat :

User name Virgin Media : Sunshine

Where did you get that information that our vivid100 and with full house package and talk weekend cal is only £62.50

If its one V6 box that would be £71

Online line when I built the bundle and it is Vivid 200 Optical Fibre hub 3.0 Full House TV Talk Weekends Virgin Phone line, comes with BT sport and espn free voicemail, I have added second V6 Box as I have two Tivo boxes

price goes up even more

Sunshine

For 2 V6 box that would be £78.50

at this point I said I have the print out in my hands from what deal I did online for £62.50 which I advised.

Sunshine responds

I think you are looking on the new customers deal. However in our website we don't have £62.50 but let me check on that.

I understand that, but in our system the regular price of it is £78.50 and on and on until she said,

I understand that you really want to get the deal that we currently have for new customers Maria however every account is entitled to get a welcome deal once and that is only when the account is created.

You may also try contacting our Relations team to check on other deals as they have different deals to offer to existing customers like you.

A manager called Maureen ****** on the online chat advised she can not help anyone but asked if they could help with anything else other than what I have asked already.

You can imagine what my face was like when they asked me this question but once again gave up.

If anyone else has had an issue with Virgin Media like me please let me know, the more complaints the more they will look at customers they already have instead of putting new customers ahead.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Who does virgin media look after existing customer or new customers more

jaybridge23 wrote:

Just had a very interesting conversation with Virgin Media, I called them to ask when does my contract expire to be advised I currently not in a contract with them so I asked from the full house package I am on now can you price up what the new deal which is showing on the virgin media website.

Full House Bundle

Vivid 200 optical Fibre

Full House TV

Talk Weekends

Virgin Phone line

Two V6 Box's

Total price is £62.50 a month for 12 month when priced up online.

I have on the same package with two Tivo box's and Vivid but paying £79.42 ish a month!

Calling the customer relations number to ask can I be setup on this contract as its a good deal and I get the new up to date equipment. They looked at my account I am a loyal customer but the best deal they can offer me was £69.50 with only one V6 Box and the price online is only for new customers!

Having asked why this was the case when I have been with Virgin Media for over 9 years but the response was just another sorry that is not possible.

Not getting anywhere with them I decided to end the call and tried few days later to speak to them via the online upgrade team chat but you can guess how that went and this is the response I get via online format.

Virgin chat :

User name Virgin Media : Sunshine

Where did you get that information that our vivid100 and with full house package and talk weekend cal is only £62.50

If its one V6 box that would be £71

Online line when I built the bundle and it is Vivid 200 Optical Fibre hub 3.0 Full House TV Talk Weekends Virgin Phone line, comes with BT sport and espn free voicemail, I have added second V6 Box as I have two Tivo boxes

price goes up even more

Sunshine

For 2 V6 box that would be £78.50

at this point I said I have the print out in my hands from what deal I did online for £62.50 which I advised.

Sunshine responds

I think you are looking on the new customers deal. However in our website we don't have £62.50 but let me check on that.

I understand that, but in our system the regular price of it is £78.50 and on and on until she said,

I understand that you really want to get the deal that we currently have for new customers Maria however every account is entitled to get a welcome deal once and that is only when the account is created.

You may also try contacting our Relations team to check on other deals as they have different deals to offer to existing customers like you.

A manager called Maureen ****** on the online chat advised she can not help anyone but asked if they could help with anything else other than what I have asked already.

You can imagine what my face was like when they asked me this question but once again gave up.

If anyone else has had an issue with Virgin Media like me please let me know, the more complaints the more they will look at customers they already have instead of putting new customers ahead.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

New customers always get the better deals, customer loyalty hasn't been a thing in years sadly, all you can do is speak to retentions and hope they offer you something decent, if not you're stuck like the rest of us old customers Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When you join you get a one time deal, I don't think you should personally, but that's just me

I also don't see why some customers think others should subsidise them so they get a similar deal, don't get me wrong I'm all for getting a good deal but you're not going to get as good a deal as a new customer

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

you can give 30 days notice and see what that brings - it can bring phonecalls from the outreach dept offering you better deals - how good is unknown

BUT you are gambling that they will do that - if not you can cancel the notice or leave 

Tony
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

On a totally off-piste note. "loyalty" is a flawed concept. Customers are not "loyal" to VM; they stay with VM for as long as the value proposition remains in place. Customers want the maximum service for the minimum price.

VM, on the other side of the fence, whant to extract the maximum spend from the same customer who wants to spend as little as possible. Staying with VM (or BT for that matter) is a compromise and by no means loyalty.

That said, VM do offer "loyalty" discounts but I'm 100% certain that this is all priced into the grand scheme and really not a freebie at all.

None of the above is knocking VM in particular. The commercial world basically works like that.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

An excellent summary from Sephiroth.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it would be better called a "disloyalty discount".

If you are loyal you would stay with a supplier no matter what because you are loyal.

you get this discount when you threaten to leave to make you stay so you are being disloyal to the company.

So from now on I'm calling it a disloyaltiy discount Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've never threatened to leave. I've been defrocked; I say "gollox" on the Forum; I wish a pox on the wretched offshore call centre. But I've never lost a "loyalty" discount. Do they love me?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
jaybridge23
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Only rcvd a call back from the call centre manager ref Steve 2 days later than what they advised! but this is what he had to say.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you no one updated the system to say I had called and requested a manager call back! but would like to know how he can help. I have explained again what I am looking to get as a loyal customer but straight away advised if you want the price online for new customers it will not be possible. Having asked him to explain why you think its correct to charge your existing customers around £20.00 - £30.00 more than what new customers get. He tried to explain that being promo offer to entice people to join VM, if they charged everyone the same cheaper price they would be out of business.

Having asked for the cost for the same package I have today but with the up to date EQP what is the price you will give it to me more.

Steve's response: £75.90 is the best price he can renew my contract for that's a £3.52 SAVING but said if wanted two v6 box's he would need to charge me £142.00 but will discount this to £72.00 as a gesture of goodwill being I was loyal customer.

So I asked if they can waiver the box charge completely and not charge me a £14.99 activation fee being I am already with VM but said they need to make some money on the renew that's why they charge for the box's, and is only free to new customers as they have a discount code for £50.00.

20 mins later I have asked to just give my 30 days notice and will move over to sky which to be honest did not overlay seemed that bothered.

So 29 days to go and ill be Virgin Media free unless they actually think things through and don't want to lose £968.00 a year in revenue.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

jaybridge23 wrote:
Only rcvd a call back from the call centre manager ref Steve 2 days later than what they advised! but this is what he had to say.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you no one updated the system to say I had called and requested a manager call back! but would like to know how he can help. I have explained again what I am looking to get as a loyal customer but straight away advised if you want the price online for new customers it will not be possible. Having asked him to explain why you think its correct to charge your existing customers around £20.00 - £30.00 more than what new customers get. He tried to explain that being promo offer to entice people to join VM, if they charged everyone the same cheaper price they would be out of business.

Having asked for the cost for the same package I have today but with the up to date EQP what is the price you will give it to me more.

Steve's response: £75.90 is the best price he can renew my contract for that's a £3.52 SAVING but said if wanted two v6 box's he would need to charge me £142.00 but will discount this to £72.00 as a gesture of goodwill being I was loyal customer.

So I asked if they can waiver the box charge completely and not charge me a £14.99 activation fee being I am already with VM but said they need to make some money on the renew that's why they charge for the box's, and is only free to new customers as they have a discount code for £50.00.

20 mins later I have asked to just give my 30 days notice and will move over to sky which to be honest did not overlay seemed that bothered.

So 29 days to go and ill be Virgin Media free unless they actually think things through and don't want to lose £968.00 a year in revenue.

Well it seems you're not happy with the effort he made, it will be a shame to see you go but thats the way the cookie crumbles i guess, you won't get the new customer pricing as you're not a new customer, this is how companies operate, everyone is the same, that £968 a year also wont make even the smallest dent in their overall profit, customers are just numbers, for every person who jumps ship another joins or renews, personally i only have broadband from VM and BT's offerings aren't actually much cheaper and provide less than half the speed so i have zero incentive to leave so i just accept my price as part of remaining with VM

Granted not everyone is going to be happy but if you can get a better deal elsewhere then feel free to take it, VM can only offer you so much as the guy has advised

Although i have just looked at pricing on the broadband i have and i'm paying less than the website is quoting me anyway

0 Kudos