Menu
misterp55
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What's a good alternative to Virgin Broadband?

Having experienced a couple of months (July/August) of regular service failures "there's cabling work in your area" (yeah right!) it went down again Friday 25 October for the best part of 24 hours and has been on/off ever since.

I'm in South London so no excuse as far as I'm concerned.  What really gets to me is that I've just had yet another speed hike to 150 Mbps but what on earth is the benefit of this if I can't get online in the first place??

As with many utilities I worry about leaving the frying pan for the fire (eg Plusnet which seems to have just as many service problems) but would be interested in hearing from any others in the same frying pan.

Oh yes and in the middle of all this "My Virgin Media" site kicked me out with yet another apology.

Stop apologising just do it.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What's a good alternative to Virgin Broadband?

All ISPs have their problems from time to time which is why I've always stuck with VM through thick and thin but it's mostly been good where I live.

This article, although dating back to January of this year, may be of interest.   http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/the-uk-best-broadband-isps-for-2016-ispreview-editor-pi...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All ISPs have their problems from time to time which is why I've always stuck with VM through thick and thin but it's mostly been good where I live.

This article, although dating back to January of this year, may be of interest.   http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/the-uk-best-broadband-isps-for-2016-ispreview-editor-pi...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
misterp55
Just joined
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Dave

Probably is a case of Frying pan & Fire. If VM are listening, I'd be more than happy to pay you double what I currently pay you for 25% of the speed you currently say I'm getting, just to get a reliable service.

What's laughable is that when it drops I use my phone or tablet as a hotspot and it's perfectly adequate, so maybe I should just drop the service altogether?

Thanks again
Paul
0 Kudos
Paz61
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In case you were not aware PlusNet is wholly owned by BT, not a lot of people know that!

I was one of VM's first broadband customers back in around 1994.

Of course in those days it was called Cabletel, then it became NTL and then VM.

I had to buy my own modem at a cost of £250.00 and then I had to pay £75.00 a month for 512k "always on". Smiley Surprised

I am still with VM some 20+ years later and despite their faults I would not consider going anywhere else for broadband internet. Smiley Wink

Hope this helps.

Regards

'Political Correctness' is an evil totalitarian ideology aiming to curtail freedom of speech and stunt freedom of thought by using Freudian brainwashing techniques.
It is like a cancer on our society and if left untreated and uncured the very least it will eventually do is blur our ability to see reality.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ive some contacts in a couple of the ADSL suppliers and the common wisdom seems to be that if you want to get an ADSL/FTTC connection, get BT.

Although Openreach is officially separate form BT, they still fix faults reported through BT first. So adding in another layer of complication (ALL adsl/FTTC providers use openreaches network) just adds issues. I know factually a couple of the suppliers have reduced their maintenance contract spend with Openreach leading to longer lead times for fault fixing, so again, sticking to BT keeps it simple.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't think there is an easy answer, as with VM your experience can vary from area to area and customer to customer.

I know two people in different parts of the country that left BT because of poor service and moved to Sky and Plusnet.  Both now have faster speeds and are paying less than they were with BT.  I am told that Sky have guaranteed minimum speeds which I'm not sure anybody else offers. From what I have seen, via my mum's dealings with them, the way Plusnet approach customer service is way ahead of the rest.  She has only called them twice and both times got an email confirming everything discussed within minutes of hanging up, so no misunderstandings or weasel words from CS.  Also Plusnet are the only ISP I have heard of who price matched their own new customer deal, with just a little prompting.

Rather than asking on a national forum it would probably be best to ask locally. Friends and neighbours who are already connected to another ISP in your street will give the best indication of what you are likely to experience in your area.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

LilMo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We have very recently left VM and moved to Sky not because of anything other than the cost every month it was jus getting out of hand so we've now halved the amount with Sky. BB speed is good I don't know what it's set at but I have no complaints. There are films you can't get with VM ie..Game of Thrones season 6 will save us having to buy that set.
0 Kudos