Menu
Well-informed
Message 11 of 15 (101 Views)

Re: Virgin kit for sale on Gumtree...

Fact of the matter is, VM KNOW this is going on, but are making little or no attempt to stop it, so does this therefore make them complicent in the handling/disposal of  goods known to be 'stolen' and therefore an accessory to the actual theft??

Would someone who purchased one of these, and not able to make it work, then say that VM 'knowingly allowed items that they were the owners of to be sold illegally and did not make any concerted effort to stop the sales'  thereby condoning their sale.

Wonder how that might stack up in court. Telling Gumtree, et all 'please do not sell our kit' and not making any effort to enforce that with these sites is almost like turning a blind eye!!

Yes, it may cost more than the item is worth to enforce at first, but, after a few high profile cases, these sites and the sellers would get the message, And, VM might be seen to be actually doing more than just 'asking politely' as well as doing their reputation a bit of good, (and does it need THAT) by showing it actually has some morals!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 12 of 15 (90 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes Virgin Media know what is going on, but how do you know that Virgin Media 'make little or not attempt to stop it'?

eBay and other listings get removed regularly and this has shown been several times over the years in this forum:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Virgin-Own-the-equipment-modems-tivo-why-ebay-sellers-...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/e-bay-purchase-of-Superhub3/m-p/3146053#M19785

but at the end of the day they are third party sites over which Virgin Media have no direct control.

It is also like playing 'whack-a-mole' as even if one listing is removed, it's not difficult for anyone to re-list using a different login or details.

Additionally this question also comes up on eBay's own site, yet they continue to allow the listings:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Selling-on-eBay/Selling-Virgin-Media-Equpment/qaq-p/3587385
https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying-on-eBay/is-it-illegal-to-sell-virgin-media-v-boxes-on-ebay/qa...

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 13 of 15 (80 Views)

maybe a sticky should be put on the forum to tell people never to buy super hubs or tvo boxes from third parties. i've known people to buy them. one person i worked with wouldn't listen to me and said i was talking nonsense that the tvo wouldn't work. they learnt the hard way.
Superuser
Message 14 of 15 (64 Views)

jamesofmerton wrote:
maybe a sticky should be put on the forum to tell people never to buy super hubs or tvo boxes from third parties. i've known people to buy them. one person i worked with wouldn't listen to me and said i was talking nonsense that the tvo wouldn't work. they learnt the hard way.

Good idea

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 15 of 15 (32 Views)

[ Edited ]

jamesofmerton wrote:

So then, only people who know about this site get the info? What about those who don't come on here, or don't know about the forum??

How about VM actually do something PROACTIVE for once, and make a proper public announcement along the lines that ; 

'Virgin media equipment, remains the property of Virgin Media at all times, and anyone trying to sell such VM items, is actually committing an offence, as is anyone who buys VM items from such seller, and VM will take the appropriate action against said persons. People purchasing illegally obtained items will not be able to access VM services from such items'

Make sure that the message gets across, then actually prosecute some of these 'sellers' and get some high profile publicity. It might cost VM initially, but then, once the message has sunk in, people might stop selling 'stolen goods' and also, buyers might stop buying it. 

If VM REALLY wanted to stop this, they could make much more of an effort than 'gently reminding Gumtree/E-bay that they would rather not have them selling their hardware'. Make it plain to both companies that they are in effect, 'handling stolen goods' by letting their clients advertise them on their site, and refusing to remove them.

John stated that 'the ball is in Gumtree's court'. So it may be, but...the ball still belongs to VM, and, it's up to them to chase Gumtree for it, rather than just sitting back and hoping they will do something. As long as Gumtree feel VM will NOT actively pursue this, then they will continue to take NO NOTICE of VM's 'request' and continue. If VM actually got a bit more 'aggressive' that might change for the better.

But, as said, VM obviously do not really care...they have the money, why bother about trying to 'clean up the mess' ??

PS the original items I mentioned are STILL for sale, 48 hours after I first reported them. I have since reported then twice more, yet Gumtree still allows them to remain?? Gumtree therefore becomes an accessory to any crime committed by allowing these items to remain on their site despite KNOWING they are 'stolen' !!

0 Kudos