Menu
Well-informed
Message 1 of 16 (471 Views)

Virgin kit for sale on Gumtree...

Local Gumtree site has the following for sale..

https://www.gumtree.com/p/modems-broadband-networking/virgin-media-super-hub-3/1224392297

Thought that kit was the property of VM, and not the user??

Person that buys this lot is in for a shock, as none of it will work unless activated.

Mods might want to follow this up

(if they ever get round to reading it, that is!!)

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16 (449 Views)

Re: Virgin kit for sale on Gumtree...

Also wont he get a bill from virgin when they want it back, assuming  think they still want 1tb tivos back, unless he found it on a nightly prowl to another house..

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 3 of 16 (448 Views)

I threw in a report, which can take up to 12 hours for them to look at it, some people just are pure greedy - sure maybe they didn't send out the return packaging to him/her, if that is what happened, but to think the can sell it like it is normal merchandise is funny as hell.

Personally if I was stuck with those things and VM didn't come for it, I would have taken the 1TB HDD out of the TiVo and used it in a PC or in a PS3/4.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 16 (438 Views)

Looked at the map, just a few streets away from me, walked the dog round that way, guess what...student let!! (like nearly all the places round there)

Assume that they will flog the items, then depart at end of let, hey presto, landlord (possibly, if said student hasn't signed up in his fellow tenants names, as seen that done before!!) responsible for the kit!! As said, whoever is naive enough to purchase, won't get any service from it, even if they are an existing customer, without activation through VM..

Have reported the ad to Gumtree, but doubt they will do anything, as per usual. (reported someone selling 'banned goods' a while ago, nothing was done, ad expired before they did anything..)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 16 (430 Views)

I could do with another to have a matching set of book-ends. Smiley Wink

Rising star
Message 6 of 16 (423 Views)

The mods won't be interested in following it up.

VM kit has been getting sold on ebay for years with VMs full knowledge.

All sorts of criminal implications (theft, fraud, receiving, handling) but VM are not bothered.

There's a few Tivos on there now if anyone fancies an unusual door stop.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16 (411 Views)

HI all,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Hughjarsse, there is already a report to gumtree that these items should not be for sale and the ball is now in their court. 

Thanks again

John

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 8 of 16 (385 Views)

[ Edited ]

John_G wrote:

HI all,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Hughjarsse, there is already a report to gumtree that these items should not be for sale and the ball is now in their court. 

Thanks again

John

So, I reported the advert to Gumtree last night when I posted, and they said they 'will review the ad, and, in it is still there 12 hours later, they have deemed it OK to stay on the site'..

Currently, 18 hours later, it's still there, so assume that they don't care, or are not bothered that they are continuing to sell these items despite VM's request to remove them..

John, maybe VM need to speak a bit more forcefully to Gumtree rather than just saying that 'the ball is now in their court'

VM needs to be a bit more aggressive in stamping out what amounts to theft, and fraud, or maybe they don't really care either?? 

Superuser
Message 9 of 16 (370 Views)

HughJarsse wrote:

VM needs to be a bit more aggressive in stamping out what amounts to theft, and fraud, or maybe they don't really care either?? 

That

I mean I see why they dont bother- its not going to work at wherever it ends up, so no biggie. Probably costs more in man hours than the value of the kit.  Add to that they can bill whoever doesn't return it, its a non issue as far as balance sheets are concerned.

So it goes by the board. The actual implications of the situation- someone who has VM services buys one as an attempt to sort out issues with their kit, fails miserably and thinks even LESS of VM- dont enter into the equation it seems. The other implications (a site perfectly happy to handle stolen goods), again dont come into the equation. The dogs in the street know Gumtree is a poor mans Silk Road.   But hey whatevs, stick your head in the sand VM and let unsuspecting punters get ripped off.

Smiley Sad

Rising star
Message 10 of 16 (358 Views)

Good post and the final sentence is relevant in identifying the innocent victim who will assume the sales to be legit as Virgin surely wouldn't allow their stolen property to be so openly sold through 'legit' sources.
It would be interesting to know when the last complaint was made to the police - it's been going on for years.
The ball is actually in VMs court - not Gumtree.
0 Kudos