Menu
SneakyPete
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin (Pre) Installation ?

Hi Y'all,

So I'm due to have Virgin install next week (moving from SKY and this will be 1st time VM install). This is my second attempt with VM - a year ago they told me on 6pm on the "day of the install" that there wasn't actually any cable in the street and that they'd need to reschedule by 2-3 weeks ! I stayed with SKY !

Once bitten - a year on I've decided on another go and have ordered a Vivid package with all the trimmings. 2 days ago some cabling engineers arrived unannounced and said they were there to lay the cable up to the house (which is circa 20 yards back from the pavement with a gravel drive / grass lawn in the way. My wife was in at the time and they knocked on the door explained what they were doing/about to do - and said they'd leave plenty of cable for the installers to work with coiled up near where my wife showed them where the installation point would be.

Within 10 minutes of knocking on the door, they and their van had disappeared with no cable apparent. I've double checked closely and no cable has been laid or appeared anywhere on the property. I also checked the pavement and again - no work has happened ...

I'm probably niaive as to how the cable gets to my house but if a contractor says "I'm here to get the cable to the house and will leave plenty for the engineer" then I'm guessing there should be some evidence of work having happened and cable in sight !

I used the VM chatline who gave me Pre-Installations call number. On calling them, they've reassured me that the (pre-installation) work has partially been done and that it'll all be finished on the day...???  

Can anyone offer any reassurance and/or advise on what if anything I should see on the periphery of my property (esp in light of what the engineer told my wife ref cable being laid with excess visible and ready for the engineer etc).     

Many thanks, SP

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin (Pre) Installation ?

you should have an access point to the duct somewhere on the boundary of your property and the pavement - that should have a coil of cable sticking out of it - it will go back to the street cabinet - the tech will/should then feed that across your garden and bury it connecting it to an external box on your house wall - if said coil of cable does not exist then i have no idea 

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thats going to be a construction job. VM will now have to obtain a permit from the council to dig the pavement, plus do an assesment of where all the other ducting is in the street before a contractor can come in. You will be looking at possibly a couple of months for this to be completed, plus a week or so for the cable to be pulled afterward. All part of the fun of using a supplier with a seperate network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you should have an access point to the duct somewhere on the boundary of your property and the pavement - that should have a coil of cable sticking out of it - it will go back to the street cabinet - the tech will/should then feed that across your garden and bury it connecting it to an external box on your house wall - if said coil of cable does not exist then i have no idea 

Tony
0 Kudos
SneakyPete
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the reply Tony, - but just as I feared ... No obvious duct on boundary - and no coil of cable etc. The pavement was resurfaced by council 'bout 18 months ago and nothing has been disturbed on the surface thereof ... 

Cheers,D

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thats going to be a construction job. VM will now have to obtain a permit from the council to dig the pavement, plus do an assesment of where all the other ducting is in the street before a contractor can come in. You will be looking at possibly a couple of months for this to be completed, plus a week or so for the cable to be pulled afterward. All part of the fun of using a supplier with a seperate network.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

SneakyPete
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Nodrogd,

So I'll try and keep blood pressure in check and wait 'till a no-show next Tuesday - then go back to SKY. I have a 5 day overlap so plenty of time - albeit it'll cost me there 'cos the discounts there have run out ! (It beggars belief VM can operate like this...).

Thanks for the info !

0 Kudos
SneakyPete
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So to close this out, anticipating a pre-installation no-show and therefore problems on the supposed installation day, I phoned SKY who made me a great a great offer on SKYQ boxes. I accepted that and cancelled my Virgin order.

As a post-script - on the 21st, I should have had the engineer installing the Virgin boxes in the morning slot 8-1. That obviously didn't happen because I'd cancelled.

So who should turn up mid afternoon but two guys in a van ready to dig up the pavement and lay a cable to my house. They weren't the original two guys but it was was the same company. They at least reconfirmed that according to their records there was cable somewhere in the pavement (so I may come back to VM again this time next year).

Thanks all.    

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi SP

While it's great to have you with us here on the forums, I am sorry we were unable to get you connected i time to have you as a customer with us Smiley Sad

I appreciate that customers need a service within a specified timeframe and if we are unable to provide that for you as a customer you have chosen the option that best suits you for now and that's completely understandable.

It's good to hear that the engineers have checked the cabling for you when they called out on the afternoon of the 21st and that there is the potential that we may be able to get you connected as a customer at some future point Smiley Happy

Keep in touch if you need anything else, and we'll do what we can to help out!

Take care.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos