Menu
Jenlaw1982
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media works in Canvey Essex

Good Afternoon,

I work for Essex County Council Street works department, we have been having major issues in Canvey Island Essex regarding your installation works, John Henry's are your current contractor.  We are having lot's of complaints come through to us regarding these works and would like a contact to give to the residents of Canvey that have been affected.

I have attached a couple of photos showing the sorts of issues we are incurring.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Jenny Lawrence

Lead Streetworks Officer for Essex County Council.Virgin Works.jpgVirgin Works 1.jpg

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media works in Canvey Essex

Very strange. As I understand the position the local authority are responsible for ensuring that the street restitution works are carried out to a proper standard. This would have been included in the grant of permission to carry out the works. It is NOT the role of residents to complain about this issue to VM. It is your job to contact VM. You will have the contact details given yoy when VM  applied for permission to do the work.

This Forum is largely designed for VM customers to enquire about VM services and not the kind of matter you have raised.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Jenlaw1982
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is our job to give permission to undertake the works on the highway however it is not our responsibility to take complaints about works on private property and damage to cars etc, that are parked on these properties as you can imagine the residents are not happy with the state of the roads or driveways etc.  Can you please provide me with a number for these residents to contact for the damage caused to their properties?

Kind Regards

Jenny Lawrence

Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm sorry to hear of the problems encountered due to our works in the area. I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) so we can get a bit more information to deal with this correctly.

Drop me a reply when it's convenient and I'll gladly look into things further.

Kev

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good on you for offering assistance Kev - I think I share Howard's mindset.

A local authority posting on a public forum for information that should be officially held by them does seem a little strange.

0 Kudos
Jenlaw1982
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is not strange and if you would like me to prove I work for ECC then I am more than willing, I am posting because VM have failed to provide us with contact details for the poor unhappy residents of Canvey.

spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am not doubting you for one minute, am not criticising you at all and certainly meant no offence.

What I meant as strange was that a local authority would not already have full contact details (including for complaint issues) for a company submitting applications/notifications to carry out roadworks.

Good luck with it and I hope your local residents get satisfaction - I think you mentioned that the sub contractors are known but it should be VMs overall responsibility.

0 Kudos
Fed_up_resident
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media have now started work in our area on Canvey. There won't be many if any people signing up for the service. Total disruption, mess and blocked driveways etc. A total PR disaster. Less than 24 hrs notice that work was due to start. Leaving the area a total mess and driveways extremely difficult to get on, with vans blocking the road most of the day.

0 Kudos