Menu
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

VM Business

Anyone have a VMB service here?

Is modem mode possible with multiple static IPs?

I presume they are fine with tier changes as long as they are upwards and in return for recontracting?

Ta muchly.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM Business

CableForum has discussed this. A "hack" was found IIRC, to make this work. The challenge is to set up the correct GRE tunnel back to VMB's server from the third party router. My recollection is a bit vague. When I tried this a year ago (without the "hack"), using fairly normal VPN methods, of course I got nowhere.

You could PM CCARMOCK on CableForum - he is most knowledgeable.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

CableForum has discussed this. A "hack" was found IIRC, to make this work. The challenge is to set up the correct GRE tunnel back to VMB's server from the third party router. My recollection is a bit vague. When I tried this a year ago (without the "hack"), using fairly normal VPN methods, of course I got nowhere.

You could PM CCARMOCK on CableForum - he is most knowledgeable.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So far my impression of VM Business isn't especially positive.

They rarely respond via social media, of 3 direct contacts 2 were ignored, 1 was only tended to when I pinged @vmbusiness rather than the 'help' account and they pinged help.

They didn't respond to a query I sent them a month ago via the website.

I placed an order on Friday of last week and have nothing back yet beyond an automated acknowledgement.

Reaching out to @vmbusinesshelp today as I was worried about overzealous spam filters I was ignored and won't hear anything back now as they knock off at 5pm.

There are still serious performance issues with the static IP and range products. VM use a small vendor for some of the hardware and even though an issue has been fixed in software haven't deployed the fix yet. Sounds like there may be issues with the Hitron CPE as well. New CPE is apparently being tested but isn't working properly. These issues have been present severely impacting business customers for months.

The upstream speeds available are still disappointing. Processes and procedures were put in place months ago to permit bonding of more channels, it was done in test deployments last year, and still haven't been implemented for no apparent good reason. This was supposed to have been done months ago. In Ireland VM bond 6 upstream channels in some areas. I have no idea what the problem is with Liberty Global in the UK, there is no excuse for not getting on with it here, at very least in the areas that don't require physical network upgrades.

Despite the 'up to 350Mb for all' advertising I am only able to order 'up to' 200Mb as, despite the network here being all less than 2 years old, upgrades to the hub site that, again, were supposed to have been done months ago haven't been.

Seems Liberty Global have merrily fired most people who actually get anything done and replaced them with contractors, then the contractors leave because Liberty don't want to pay the going rate, so they end up with people who neither have the experience or the skill to get the projects completed in a timely fashion. Add to that a team I won't name who have no idea what they're doing with cable yet are closely involved with the cable network as it's what carries most of the IP traffic and it's all good fun.

I swear Liberty would fire everyone in the UK, including field engineers, outsource it all and fly people from Schipol to handle in person stuff when they had to if they could.

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

4th October:
Hello Carl - I am sorry for the delayed response. I can confirm the order has been received and the order reference is <Insert incomplete reference here>. I have contacted your order manager to get an update for you today.

5th October:
Hello Carl - I do apologise that no one has updated you so far. I have followed this up again with a manager in our order team.

6th October:
Hello Carl - I am in touch with our Order Management Team about this case - the order should be acknowledged by now but appears there are some technical problems in this instance. I have asked for a further update by close if business today.

6th October update:
<Null>

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good News!

A friend had a VM business line fitted recently after "only" 7 months of faffing about from his initial order.

No idea about the hacks Sephiroth has mentioned, but a vanilla GRE static IP will net you 70Mbps on a 200 line. Even though VM are WELL aware of this issue, the help desk didn't tell him. So 2 MORE days of faffing about for nothing.

Switch off static IP BAM 200Mbps. In its defence the Hitron lets you do Dynamic DNS natively so its not a deal breaker, but it helps if you are told Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not so good news, still no closer to getting anything delivered.

Don't really expect mushroom treatment ordering a business service, even if it's just broadband.
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hrm. I've a suspicion VMBusiness is under DDoS attack and is being routed through Level3's DDoS scrubbing service.

carl@HP-Microserver:~$ nslookup www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk
Server: 8.8.4.4
Address: 8.8.4.4#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk canonical name = ssl.www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk.c.footprint.net.
Name: ssl.www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk.c.footprint.net
Address: 8.247.6.189

NetRange: 8.0.0.0 - 8.255.255.255
CIDR: 8.0.0.0/8
NetName: LVLT-ORG-8-8
NetHandle: NET-8-0-0-0-1
Parent: ()
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS:
Organization: Level 3 Communications, Inc. (LVLT)

http://www.level3.com/en/products/ddos-mitigation/

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A message sent to the team.

I just spoke to your team, they inform 3-5 working days for an order to be tasked to the installations team. It has to be manually keyed in and checks done. This is bemusing. It's a broadband service ordered as a sole trader, so all credit checks in my name, personally, and me, personally responsible for them. The whole point of ordering as a sole trader was to simplify this process as much as possible and ensure that I would be responsible. Why is this so difficult? My business FTTC line I had an installation date within a day?

Incidentally the guy on the phone informed that the order was still awaiting keying. Apparently it's a manual process where a human being keys the information in, carries out any credit checks, etc, then an order reference is provided and the order is handed over to the installations team to handle that part.

Let me just repeat that: the processing of a basic, sole-trader (for simplicity), business broadband service by Virgin Media Business is apparently a manual process.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

A message sent to the team.

I just spoke to your team, they inform 3-5 working days for an order to be tasked to the installations team. It has to be manually keyed in and checks done. This is bemusing. It's a broadband service ordered as a sole trader, so all credit checks in my name, personally, and me, personally responsible for them. The whole point of ordering as a sole trader was to simplify this process as much as possible and ensure that I would be responsible. Why is this so difficult? My business FTTC line I had an installation date within a day?

Incidentally the guy on the phone informed that the order was still awaiting keying. Apparently it's a manual process where a human being keys the information in, carries out any credit checks, etc, then an order reference is provided and the order is handed over to the installations team to handle that part.

Let me just repeat that: the processing of a basic, sole-trader (for simplicity), business broadband service by Virgin Media Business is apparently a manual process.

Well why wouldn't it be?

I mean at the end of the day you want to introduce as many errors as possible, so you'd make sure the process was manual...Thats the way you run your business amirite?

From what Ive seen of my friends experience, although you have to work hard to be a VM residential customer, you got to work twice as hard to be a VM business customer....Really it should be a standard you stick on your literature like IIP (Investors in People) .

"I have had the tenacity to achieve a connection through VM Business"

Theres one for the CV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're so right. Why do silly things like use Salesforce for CRM when you can have people fill in an online form which then emails someone the details for them to key in?

The email went astray which was the technical problem alluded to. Sounds like the magic of Liberty Global killed off the old system and they haven't gotten around to replacing it yet so manual processing is the way forward.

Still I received a phone call yesterday informing it had been found. If I wish I can progress a 200/20 order. 200 Gamer isn't available here and neither is anything above Vivid 200. Caused me some fun trying to explain to people why the brand new cables couldn't do the 300Mb they saw advertised on the website.
0 Kudos