Menu
the_Flash
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of moving fro PlusNet Fibre to Virgin 50mb or 100mb...

Hi All,

Our speeds with PlusNet (i.e. BT) have reduced from 38mb to 19mb in the past few months. We are willing to pay more, but they seem unable to sort out issues. THeir service is fibre to the cabinet, then copper to premises.

Is it wise that we consider moving to Virgin Fibre to the Premises service? Street stats suggests that someone else in our street, using the same exchange building as our PlusNet service, is getting 48mb, compared to our 19mb.

We are told by Virgin, that a previous inhabitant of our property had Virgin Fibre connected in 2009, but we cannot see any sockets.

Be grateful for any views.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of moving fro PlusNet Fibre to Virgin 50mb or 100mb...

If you are in an existing Virgin cable area, the installation will be HFC (Hybrid-Fibre-Coaxial), so is effectively still Fibre-to-Master Cabinet node, & then Copper Coaxial for the remainder of the drop. Cable broadband is a different animal to delivery over BT's network. With BT there is a single line back to the exchange, with cable the service is radio frequency based, & your connection is effectively shared with all the other customers on your section of the network. However, if your signal levels are correct, & the section has no over-utilisation issues you should get the advertised speeds. Be aware that upload speeds are less than 10% of download speeds on Virgin due to the current system being used.

If you have no internal wiring or cable coming onto your front wall, you will need to opt for a manned install, as Quick-start (which you may be offered) will be no good to you.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

the_Flash
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks . Most useful to know.

Does that mean that Virgin would use the same copper cable coming into the property that BT use?

Also, does that mean that during busy times (like evenings with film streaming for example) that the network I am on could suffer more than the technology offered by BT?

If competely separate, is there anything to stop (not that I plan to, but out of interest) having two providers BT on one copper line (as now) and virgin on the other that they say we already have?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin run their own cable to the property, it's completely separate from your BT line. So yes, you can have both at the same time.

As said, upload speeds on Virgin aren't the best and are also traffic managed. If you upload a lot BT is better.

If there aren't any issues in your area then the speeds should be good 24/7. Best thing to do is ask any of your neighbours that have Virgin what their experience is.

Please note, sales won't know if there are issues, will just sell you the package anyway and wave you on your merry way. You will however have 14 days got get out free if it's not up to scratch.

0 Kudos
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the_Flash wrote:

Hi All,

Our speeds with PlusNet (i.e. BT) have reduced from 38mb to 19mb in the past few months. We are willing to pay more, but they seem unable to sort out issues. THeir service is fibre to the cabinet, then copper to premises.

Is it wise that we consider moving to Virgin Fibre to the Premises service? Street stats suggests that someone else in our street, using the same exchange building as our PlusNet service, is getting 48mb, compared to our 19mb.

We are told by Virgin, that a previous inhabitant of our property had Virgin Fibre connected in 2009, but we cannot see any sockets.

Be grateful for any views.

I would first ask any of your neighbours first, that's if they have Virgin Media, and ask them what the speeds are like in the evening, as a few here on the forums, are suffering massive over subscription of the network resulting in local over utilisation black spots, if they are in one, then it might be a good idea to look at BT as they are much more stable.

That's my opinion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
the_Flash
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys

I'd stay with BT/Plusnet if they would give the speeds that we had originally. They detected a "copper joint issue" which magically isn't there when a bt engineer visits.

The only way I can see of sorting it out is a new line altogther. Although what you say about Virgin does concern me.

Is bt/plusnet all fibre to the cabinet, or is there a fibre to the premises option? Sorry not a Virgin question, but it would help me if anyone knows.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I would go with VM. At least only one company to deal with, as you have found out when there are two involved they always blame each other. Yes there are troubles for certain people due to overloads in their area, but then there are lots of people who get an excellent VM service. Currently on 200/12 and nearly always get these speeds.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the_Flash wrote:

Thanks . Most useful to know.

Does that mean that Virgin would use the same copper cable coming into the property that BT use?

Virgin use Coaxial cable (which provides both the Tv & Broadband services) & a seperate phone cable for voice traffic only.

Also, does that mean that during busy times (like evenings with film streaming for example) that the network I am on could suffer more than the technology offered by BT?

Not necessarily, the "contention" rate on the network segments in most places are kept to manageable levels & most people wont notice a difference.

If competely separate, is there anything to stop (not that I plan to, but out of interest) having two providers BT on one copper line (as now) and virgin on the other that they say we already have?

Many people do. Its one of the advantages of VM having their own network.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"We are told by Virgin, that a previous inhabitant of our property had Virgin Fibre connected in 2009, but we cannot see any sockets."

you may see nothing indoors, could have been decorated over or removed. Look for a black cable entering through a house wall, from the street. it will mostly be underground but it has to pop up and approach a wall at some point. Also you may see where the footpath has been cut , then resurfaced to hide a cable run.

go up & down the street & ask, if someone has Virgin they can show you the incoming connection so you know what to look for.

also there will be a green street cabinet somewhere nearby.

0 Kudos
nostromo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I don't know about PlusNet but we had sky's full package (tv, phone and internet). We had nothing but router problems with download speed of 0.2 at times. We even had boosters around the house to try and pick up the wi-fi but had to continually reset the sky router and had the same speed. Absolute nightmare! Came over to VM and the internet alone is no comparison. Super fast and excellent wi-fi all around the house. If your thinking of VM...go for it!
0 Kudos