Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of leaving Virgin,DON'T.

Just out of interest Sephiroth. As 76/20 is infinity 2, could you not move to infinity 1 (which is 52/10 so you should get close to that) and save a few quid?

Dave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

@HiVMBye last time I read the BT forums (about a year ago or so ago) customers were posting about how they needed a DLM reset done and engineer appointments were being booked in for them.

I prefer any connection I have to no auto-line-management on it

Yes, I've read that too, the profile should automatically go back to the maximum achievable, albeit very slowly in some cases, hence the need for the reset. I think for the majority DLM works OK, but as with all these forums you only ever hear the horror stories. Never had a problem personally, that said, I am within spitting distance of the cabinet.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

HiVMBye wrote:

Just out of interest Sephiroth. As 76/20 is infinity 2, could you not move to infinity 1 (which is 52/10 so you should get close to that) and save a few quid?

Dave.

Simples this time, Dave.  I took Infinity 1 when it first came to my area; then I got the free upgrade when that came so I'm not on an Infinity 2 tariff.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Dialled in
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Presently using the Open Reach FTTC network and I see here you mention their DLM, well it is driving me crazy so I'm wonder do Virgin Media use this DLM or similar on their Network?

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

dnpark38 wrote:

Presently using the Open Reach FTTC network and I see here you mention their DLM, well it is driving me crazy so I'm wonder do Virgin Media use this DLM or similar on their Network?

No - not really.  DLM is used by BT because the twisted pair cobblers and the carnage at the copper street cabinet are noise heavens especially if you have a long run to the cabinet which attenuates signal strength.

VM, on the other hand, do not suffer from built-in noise!  They have noise management technology because it can creep in on the upstream in particular, in which case your modulation drops from 64QAM to the more noise tolerant 16QAM without a reduction in speed.

All understood OK?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Meadmodj
Joining in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Agree there are issues with the way we pay for broadband. In particular BT. I have Infinity 2 but instead of getting 76Mb I get closer to 38Mb. However if I chose to go on Infinity 1 I would suffer the same degradation and actually achieve around 17Mb. What should happen is the BT should charge in bands based on the speed that the line is actually achieving. It is unfortunate that the variation in both cabinet to house distances, copper or aluminium pairs, historic jointing techniques and general state of the cable network mean that the speeds vary so widely. 

In addition we also need to consider that the line speed is not the only issue. Most of us do not utilise anywhere near the capacity of the speed most of the time. What is important is that the specific iPlayer or Netflix programme/movie stream can be watched without buffering or failure at 21:00 on a Saturday night.

I have had the benefit of comparing both BT and Virgin over the past year and now that my Virgin offer is now at an end and recent offers from Virgin are no where near, I am now cancelling my Virgin and staying with BT despite living too far from the cabinet and the forthcoming G Fast unlikely to work.

Here is my experience with Virgin:

The Tivo box was good and much more preferable to some of the other TV boxes available, however my family found it simpler to use the YouView TV menus and its inbuilt catch up facilities, Netflix button etc.

The Virgin phone facility was never provided therefore although included within my "Full House" package I could never utilise it.

I was trying Virgin again this past year to compare it to the Broadband service. As a recently retired BT manager I still had BT Broadband and would now need to decide on which to use long term. In addition to the usual household use I am a heavy user of cloud/archive/IT. Although the Virgin "Fibre" line speed for the most part stayed at its specified 200Mb it regularly was seen to explicitly drop to 100 Mb. Although this would not have any real impact the issue is that you should be getting what you are paying for.

The key issue is the Internet service. I have a SONOS wireless music system around the house and there are likely to be 1 or 2 streams of music/radio at anyone time. Whilst I expect streaming to be interrupted sometimes on certain days the interruptions became persistent, so much so that I swapped the SONOS back to BT Broadband and have had little problems since. Tthe TV was permanently connected to Virgin broadband. On number of occasions the use of Netflix or iPlayer resulted in excessive buffering particularly at peak times or peak programs. Again connecting the TV to BT Broadband (via WIFI !) it cleared the issue immediately. Both these issues were not isolated incidents they were regular occurrences.

Whilst I can personally persevere with the issues but when the family sits down to watch a key programme or film together it is most disappointing as this is supposed to be the best available. I get the blame for any technology failing in the house.

Web browsing (using same devices) was also perceived to be generally quicker on BT Broadband.

So whilst my BT Broadband Infinity 2 only provides me with 38Mb at best its actual performance for streaming and general internet is better.

Hence why I have now cancelled my Virgin account.

Another Dave

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Dialled in
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Well I listend to the advice I was given above and I now have been on VM broadband and phone for a month with the 50 Mps service giving me 55/56 Mps with installers doing a good job.  VM broadband is leaving the Open Reach network standing.

Regarding your BT with 38 Mps on FTTC they offered up to 52 Mps and up to 78 Mps to me, I enquired of OR as to what improvements would be available to me in the future their reply was none, I could have FTTP on Demand but that would be at an installation cost of around £3K.

As I understand it one has to be getting now the full 52 Mps to benefit from the up to 78 Mps. I do not think you will go less speed if you go for the cheaper price.    

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
Meadmodj
Joining in
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thats the most important thing, a reliable service. If VM 50 works better for you then great.

VM is more consistent regarding their speed settings. BT can only provide "up to" with all the houses in our road delivering different speeds.

It's just a shame we have to signup to 12 or 18 month contracts before we find out what exactly we will experience at our particular home.

All down to decisions by Margaret Thatcher in 1983 and government interference currently in the shape of Ofcom. They are supposed to be there for the consumer.

0 Kudos