Menu
statex
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thinking of leaving Virgin,DON'T.

Just switched to Plusnet and regretting it already. Totally useless phone line , constant crackling and unable to use due to background noise. I have disconnected all phones and borrowed a phone to plug into the master socket , noise still there. The money grabbing b******* insist that they have checked the line and the fault is in my equipment and they make you agree to pay £65 if they think the fault is in your equipment before they send an engineer out.

A nice little earner for them they can cure the fault and then say you have called them out for nowt or the fault is in your gear and bill you for £65. What a rip off.

My advice think hard before you switch and don't switch to BT or Plusnet. Service is crap.

Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of leaving Virgin,DON'T.

Don't know about Plusnet, but my BT circuit is good. Always around 68/18 and quiet line tests show no issues.

Just thought I would balance the posts a bit. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@statex Do you have ADSL filters (microfilters) on all of your phone sockets, have you tried swapping them to makes sure they are working? When my mum first got BT broadband she forgot about the phone extension in the bedroom and this resulted in a noisy line.  Once an additional filter was fitted to the bedroom socket the noise went away.

As a cable broadband connection does not need these filters it is a very easy thing to overlook when switching to ADSL.

That charge is not unique to Plusnet, all UK ADSL providers have to use Openreach (BT) engineers and they are just passing on the Openreach charges.  I have seen BT bill somebody this call out fee even after it was proven to be a line fault outside the customer's property and they had to fight to get it cancelled.

My mum moved from BT to Plusnet two years ago and has had better speeds, lower bills and so far no issues.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

steelysteph
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your liability for the phone line starts at the master socket, up to (and including) the master socket is the responsibility of your line provider.  If you've plugged a phone directly into the master socket and the line is noisy you have checked 'your end'.  

You could be absolutely sure and try another phone - we bought a £5 basic cabled phone from Asda just for this purpose (and as a back up in the event of a power cut).  If that phone is still noisy then PlusNet will be liable.

0 Kudos
statex
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Problem still exists had BT engineers out and they changed the line and main box. They said they had never had this fault before. The problem is in the underground cable in the street. Still waiting for it to be repaired . BT said it is not a priority. BT service crap.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

statex wrote:

Problem still exists had BT engineers out and they changed the line and main box. They said they had never had this fault before. The problem is in the underground cable in the street. Still waiting for it to be repaired . BT said it is not a priority. BT service crap.

One major thing I don't like about _DSL offerings by any company using the BT network is the line training/DLM thing.  Rather than say fix your profile at what you pay for and not care if your line will always be capable of it at all times. They do some system (DLM?) which throttles back your connection speed if your router drops of the network a bit often. This leads to requiring an engineer visit to reset the DLM profile or whatever.

I loathe that. It should be if someone signs up for say 40/10 VDSL, then their router is fixed at that profile and it will never change until the customer changes their package changes. Regardless of how many times their hub is rebooted or loses power, for whatever reason.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

statex wrote:

One major thing I don't like about _DSL offerings by any company using the BT network is the line training/DLM thing.  Rather than say fix your profile at what you pay for and not care if your line will always be capable of it at all times. They do some system (DLM?) which throttles back your connection speed if your router drops of the network a bit often. This leads to requiring an engineer visit to reset the DLM profile or whatever.

DLM (Dynamic line management) is automatic and doesn't normally need an engineer to reset it.

I loathe that. It should be if someone signs up for say 40/10 VDSL, then their router is fixed at that profile and it will never change until the customer changes their package changes. Regardless of how many times their hub is rebooted or loses power, for whatever reason.

DLM has 3 profiles, speed, standard and stable. Speed allows for the most errors, stable the least. I don't know what profiles the others use but BT use speed. The thresholds are quite high and  prioritise speed over stability. It only kicks in if the connections drops more than about 20 times in a 24 hour period. Even then it won't necessarily drop the speed, it might just apply error correction which would increase the latency.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

Don't know about Plusnet, but my BT circuit is good. Always around 68/18 and quiet line tests show no issues.

Just thought I would balance the posts a bit. 

My BT fibre circuit is crap.  The line is aluminium, so there are micro reflections that cause noise, particularly in the upstream. Instead of 76/20, I'm luck to get 55/10 but I pay the same as those with copper wires and full speed.  (My VM 200/12 does that 24x7).

Just thought I would provide further balance to the thread.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Prior to moving to Virgin Media last week I was with BT.  I was getting consistent speeds of 50Mbps on their 'Up to 52 Mbps' package.  No issues at all with the connection, only with their overseas customer service team.

Moved due to the price increases and getting a great deal with Virgin Media.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@HiVMBye last time I read the BT forums (about a year ago or so ago) customers were posting about how they needed a DLM reset done and engineer appointments were being booked in for them.

I prefer any connection I have to no auto-line-management on it

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos