Menu
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 32 (180 Views)

Re: Thinking of joining!!

Well had everything connected this afternoon. Virgin guy was here about 2.30 hours.

Tivo v6 box is very nice to use and nice for me having all the sports channels on one device, only one problem.

Broadband is really slow, I'm on the 200 vivid. I did do a few speed tests while the guy was here and never got above 90Mb and that was wired. He said it could take up to 24 hours to settle down and get the correct speed. I said I thought it would just connect at the highest straight away, but he insisted it would get better and was keen to get away.

Well I've done quite a few since then and Speedtest.net is showing nearly 90Mb and thinkbroadband.com is only showing 32Mb. Wireless is even worse and 8Mb on speedtest.net and the router is in the same room!!

I have copied some of the stats I can find from the router, can anyone tell me if they are ok.

Channel Frequency(Hz) Power
(dBmV) SNR
(dB) Modulation Channel ID

12907500000.940.3256 qam32
2282750000140.9256 qam31
3274750000140.9256 qam30
42667500001.240.3256 qam29
5258750000140.3256 qam28
6250750000140.9256 qam27
7242750000140.3256 qam26
82347500001.240.3256 qam25
93147500000.540.3256 qam35
103067500000.740.3256 qam34
112987500000.940.9256 qam33
123227500000.740.3256 qam36
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 22 of 32 (177 Views)

Power levels look fine.  Speed would be instant, VM does not need "24 hours to settle"  It's not the same as VDSL , e.g. BT

90 seems like a hardware limit on your kit? Are you connecting with Gigabit links or is this wireless ? A proper speed test would need Gigabit wired to the Hub directly

For example, one of my laptops will only do around 90/12 on wireless, but my PC with Gigabit wired can do approx. 212/12

On our wavelength
Message 23 of 32 (175 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

It is wired, wifi can't get above 8Mb. It's a mac mini that has 1GB port and is wired straight to the hub. Might try a new cable as that could be old and runs the length of the room. Although doesn't explain why thinkbroadband speedtest is slow. I'm hoping it's something simple. I've got a new shorter cable and will connect it to my other half's macbook.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 32 (173 Views)

I had a new length of cat6 cable and have connected that and speedtest.net is now showing 160Mb. I've tried 4 other test sites and they are all testing below 30Mb, very strange.

Is there a definitive speed test for cable?

I have nothing connected to Virgin wifi at the moment but tomorrow I shall connect all the devices I have connected to BT and see how that goes. Deal breaker will be my boys Xbox in his bedroom.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 25 of 32 (157 Views)

As far as VM are concerned the definitive test is speedtest.net to a VM server.

There are reports elsewhere on the forum of peering issues with Thinkbroadband and other sites which VM are looking into.

I have just tested with http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest and I'm getting full speed.

160Mbps at peak time is not too bad, try testing off peak e.g. after midnight or before 4pm and see if you get the full 200Mbps.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

On our wavelength
Message 26 of 32 (148 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

Just tried DSL site and got 100Mb which compared to some on here suffering from congestion is very good. I will be happy with that at peak times.

Just need to sort out the wifi. Tivo is connected by wifi and was working fine earlier. Will check it out again at half time.

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 27 of 32 (136 Views)

Wherever possible I would always recommend the use of ethernet cable instead of wireless - it offers a much more stable and faster connection.  Obviously this isn't always possible if your device isn't anywhere near the router and cabling isn't an option.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 32 (118 Views)

Well been a few days now and very happy with the service. Broadband speed is holding up all day with no major slowdowns. Everything is fast and snappy, speedtest.net is peaking at 218Mb most of the day. Downloads are overall very fast as well, although the speed does tend to fluctuate up and down quite a lot. Wifi has settled down and no complaints from my son on his Xbox, so all good.

Tivo v6 is excellent, very fast and nice having all sports on one box. 4k sports would be nice to have though, any plans for this?

Haven't used the landline and for some reason I thought a phone would be provided. Will try it soon as it looks like BT will be going.

So, just hope it continues.

Thanks to everyone for all the help on this thread, much appreciated.

Joining in
Message 29 of 32 (84 Views)

Hi newsagent, it's a pickle that's for sure, i am actually thinking of ditching Virgin in favour of BT and Sky! And like you try to research everything, but never changed my media supplier,could you offer me your opinion of them?

As for virgin, i've been dead loyal since it was NTL (in our area), and found it great at times over the years, but recently found speeds promised unreliable, tivo box dead slow, paused tv randomly jumps forward, spoiling the show.

customer service is hit and miss, changing package down, is met with arrogance like - "well, you will still have pay for another 30 days", change package up - yes sir three bags full sir, it will be done immediately. They're happy when you go to a higher price deal.

There are no email addresses to contact them, which i find ridiculous, only phones or chat lines that work about two minutes a day, who have a script and good luck getting them to wander off it.

If you can get on it, this sums it up - the chat lines most common reply " i'm sorry i only deal with upgrades, phone 150"

And i have found loyalty means nothing, new customers get best deals, so i might move anyway, then go back to get a new customer deal.

On the plus side - i recently locked my mobile out, and the people at virgin i spoke to, were knowledgeable, concise with instructions and advice, and had it working again in double quick time. 

I'm not out to put you off, just giving you an idea of how it can be at times.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 32 (82 Views)

ydoistickatvirg, for some reason I've only just got notification of this reply.

I tend to switch depending what deals are around. Recently moved to a Virginmedia area and never had the service before. I was happy with BT Broadband and was getting constant speeds and was fortunate that the cabinet was about 50 yards from my house. Had been with Sky for years and mostly happy with them. I had Sky Q installed and after a few setup problems with the mini box it is a very good system, particularly for multiroom, no wires trailing around the room or out side the house. The problem I had was the price. I like sport and especially football, so had to have both Sky and BT and wanted it in 4K when available. Virgin could offer initially everything, apart from 4K, for about half the price and no need for 2 different boxes so a no brainer really.

If you are thinking of leaving Virgin and going to BT and Sky there will be some really good deals around for new customers. Make sure you check the cashback sites and do lots of research. I've always found Sky customer service quite good and even BT, maybe I was just lucky.

By the way when my 12 months is up I wouldn't hesitate to ditch Virgin if I couldn't get another deal and go back to Sky/BT if the price was much better. As you say loyal customers do get a bad deal so why be loyal.

If you need any other advice be glad to help, good luck.

0 Kudos