Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Thinking of joining!!

AFAIK all on demand content is via your broadband connection on the V6 but all broadcast content is via the coax cable.  Without the built in 10Mbps modem that the old Tivo has the V6 has no ability to get on demand via the coax connection anymore.  So BB congestion would not stop the V6 from showing and recording normal broadcast content, as long as it can get regular EPG and software updates at off peak times, but could impact catch up services.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 32
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

If its congested it may effect iPlayer and Netflix which are both apps that use the internet, but all other tv including most of that catchup such as sky movies and other on demand comes via the coaxial cable and is not effected by this. 

@stevedh2 I just checked this by switching off my router and the V6 was unable to access any on demand content, so as I thought none of it comes down the coax anymore with the V6.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 32
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

stevedh2 wrote:

If its congested it may effect iPlayer and Netflix which are both apps that use the internet, but all other tv including most of that catchup such as sky movies and other on demand comes via the coaxial cable and is not effected by this. 

@stevedh2 I just checked this by switching off my router and the V6 was unable to access any on demand content, so as I thought none of it comes down the coax anymore with the V6.

SCA1972 It just uses internet for handshaking etc, but the actual stream comes via the coax cable. I can see this easily by looking at my routers flow monitor. I can see lots of data coming down for iPlayer or youtube, but nout for sky movies etc.

You will also notice that the interface for catchup has he same limitations for fast forward etc as with the on demand on v+ etc. which was cause by fast forward being provided by a separate stream etc.

0 Kudos
newsagent
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so if I was to sit down at 8pm to watch the live football in HD on either BBC, ITV, Sky or BT and there was congestion would it effect the picture quality?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 32
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:
SCA1972 It just uses internet for handshaking etc, but the actual stream comes via the coax cable. I can see this easily by looking at my routers flow monitor. I can see lots of data coming down for iPlayer or youtube, but nout for sky movies etc.

You will also notice that the interface for catchup has he same limitations for fast forward etc as with the on demand on v+ etc. which was cause by fast forward being provided by a separate stream etc. 

Interesting... Thanks for clarifying that @stevedh2, I stand corrected.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 32
Flag for a moderator

newsagent wrote:
Ok, so if I was to sit down at 8pm to watch the live football in HD on either BBC, ITV, Sky or BT and there was congestion would it effect the picture quality?

No, live broadcast content is still sent via the coax cable not your broadband so would not be impacted by Internet congestion.

newsagent
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Well signed up to the VIP bundle, install date 1st week of March. Cashback has tracked, so if it pays out will bring the monthly price down to about £74. Big drop in price from BT and Sky package I'm paying at the moment.

Doesn't look like the house has ever had Virgin but the cabinet it about 50m away. There is a cover on the pavement just outside my gate so I assume they will have to dig a trench of some sort to lay the cable to the house. Also the 2nd tivo will have to go into the upstairs bedroom, so I suppose another cable will have to be fed along and up the wall into the bedroom. That's one of the good things about Sky Q, no outside cables to the mini boxes.

If the service isn't any good and I cancel within the 14 days, will they come and collect all the equipment and take the cable away from the upstairs bedroom and make good the hole outside. Not concerned about the downstairs one as the main box can stay in place.

I just hope I'm not going to regret this!

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Vip.. you should be getting V6s for that... did they mention V6 or tivo?

0 Kudos
newsagent
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes, sorry 2 V6 Tivos.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I think they usually send a box for you to return kit when you cancel, which you then take to your nearest Collect+ drop off point with the pre paid label provided with the box.  The only time I have had kit collected was when I had a manned install of newer kit. I think it is unlikely they would remove any external cabling if you cancel.