Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 32 (426 Views)

Thinking of joining!!

Hi, I am thinking of ditching Sky and BT and moving everything over to Virgin. I've recently moved to an area that has Virgin and never used them before.

I like to do a lot of research before spending my hard earned cash and found these forums. Looking around and there appears to be a lot of disgruntled customers. I realise that company forums can often look like this, as people who have no problems don't tend to post. However I'm  a bit concerned at the amount of complaints on here.

I know I could have the services installed and if not up to standard I would have 14 days to cancel but that wouldn't help if my other services had been cut off.

Has anyone got any feedback on the service in particular the Dover area?

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 32 (812 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by newsagent
‎14-02-2017 20:42

Re: Thinking of joining!!

[ Edited ]

Depending on your needs regarding what your going to use the service for will depend on what your experience will be with them.

I signed up to them in 2014, and have had little to no problems with them, originally signed up to the 150 bundle, which was great as I've never had that fast speed in my life, using it for gaming and big game downloads. 

Got offered the 200 package when it released, I think that was in 2015 sometime to which I immediately said yes, had little issues with that. It wasn't until mid 2016 that I started getting noticeable speed issues during peak hour times. It wasn't too bad as my work hours are from 6PM - 2AM so everytime I had used the internet I did not fall into the "Peak hour" problems.

I just recently upgraded to the vivid Gamer bundle after finding out that with the Vivid 200 standard they didn't inform customers of throttling on the Vivid 200 and no throttling on the Vivid Gamer. Which to me is very annoying as when Vivid 200 was out and just released it was sold as "No restrictions" then when they released gamer they put Vivid 200 on restrictions. It wasn't until mid 2016 that I found out that the reasons for my slow speeds was because of throttling.

Other than that, as I said it depends what you use it on. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 32 (813 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by newsagent
‎14-02-2017 20:42

[ Edited ]

Depending on your needs regarding what your going to use the service for will depend on what your experience will be with them.

I signed up to them in 2014, and have had little to no problems with them, originally signed up to the 150 bundle, which was great as I've never had that fast speed in my life, using it for gaming and big game downloads. 

Got offered the 200 package when it released, I think that was in 2015 sometime to which I immediately said yes, had little issues with that. It wasn't until mid 2016 that I started getting noticeable speed issues during peak hour times. It wasn't too bad as my work hours are from 6PM - 2AM so everytime I had used the internet I did not fall into the "Peak hour" problems.

I just recently upgraded to the vivid Gamer bundle after finding out that with the Vivid 200 standard they didn't inform customers of throttling on the Vivid 200 and no throttling on the Vivid Gamer. Which to me is very annoying as when Vivid 200 was out and just released it was sold as "No restrictions" then when they released gamer they put Vivid 200 on restrictions. It wasn't until mid 2016 that I found out that the reasons for my slow speeds was because of throttling.

Other than that, as I said it depends what you use it on. 

Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 32 (356 Views)

[ Edited ]

As an aside, if you don't mind having a new phone number, then you can install virgin without stopping your old services and therefore test the water before committing. It would mean paying extra for a month or so for duplicate services.

Virgin is definitely capable of supplying the advertised speeds, however it is a bit of a lottery whether or not you get hit by over utilisation or are effected by some sort of fault. Both of which would be addressed if they existed, however the resolution of over utilisation could take a while.

Superuser
Message 4 of 32 (351 Views)

If you look on other forums you will find complaint about all ISPs, as disgruntled customers are more vocal than gruntled ones.  To put things in perspective, VM have over 4 million broadband customers and this forum has 360,506 members and not all of them are here to complain about broadband.  So the unhappy punters are a tiny proportion of the customer base.

I'm not saying however that everything is perfect.  There are some potential issues that may or may not affect you:

1.  The current VM Hub 3 has some latency issues (more info HERE) that might impact you if you are an online gamer.  Many round here will tell you it is useless for gaming but I have seen reports here and on another forum from users that say they can play online just fine.

2. Wireless performance of the VM hub might not be great. The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much. You do at least have the option of putting the hub into modem mode and attaching your own third party wireless router, if you find the hub lacking.

3. Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds at peak times (evenings and weekends) but full speed at off peak times.  These issues are very localised so if you have any neighbours who are with VM then asking them how they get on at peak times is the only way to find out if this could be an issue for you.  There are reports on here that Wigan suffers from these peak time issues, but I'm in Wigan and not suffering so it is not all of Wigan and so asking about the whole of Dover doesn't guarantee an accurate answer.

If you have concerns then I would advise running the services in parallel before cancelling your Sky broadband.  This is one of the advantages of VM, because they don't use the BT phone line to provide the service you can have both at the same time.  This would have a cost implication but it wouldn't leave you high and dry if you have issues with either the installation of the VM service (delays can occur with properties that have never had VM before) or you are unhappy with the service.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Tuning in
Message 5 of 32 (340 Views)

Their customer service is extremely poor. I would avoid at all cost. Only interested when trying to sell you something, but not interested in complaints about the mess and nuisance they create when digging trenches and blocking driveways to your property. 

Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 32 (331 Views)

Just for balance, I've been a long time customer with NTL \ Virgin Media. Well over 15 years.

In all that time I can count on one hand the problems or outages I've had. I'm very lucky not to have over utilisation though.

To echo Scott's previous statement, I've never run any of the VM kit as a Router, they have always been put in Modem Mode as I prefer my own networking hardware solutions.

On our wavelength
Message 7 of 32 (316 Views)

Thanks for the replies everyone, the suggestions to keep my current isp is something I could do.
I think I am correct in saying I would have 14 days to cancel Virgin and any installation costs would be refunded.

I'm concerned reading a few posts on here that the time to correct some faults and problems appears to take ages. I read one post where someone had a congestion problem just before Christmas, and it wouldn't be fixed before May!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 32 (309 Views)

newsagent wrote:
<snip>
I'm concerned reading a few posts on here that the time to correct some faults and problems appears to take ages. I read one post where someone had a congestion problem just before Christmas, and it wouldn't be fixed before May!

That is nothing, some folks have had peak time utilisation issues that have gone on for years.  This is in part because it is not just replacing a faulty part, it is adding extra capacity which can involve a lot of work.  This can include adding extra downstream channels, hardware changes at the CMTS, digging up roads/paths which all require planning permission.  The way things are going with increased demand for streaming video services (both legal and illegal) it is probably very easy for additional capacity to get consumed as soon as it is added in some areas.

This is why asking your neighbours is so important or if that isn't an option then extensive testing at peak times in your first 14 days of service.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

On our wavelength
Message 9 of 32 (293 Views)

So if there is bad congestion on the line will this cause problems with the tivo v6 and watching tv and catchup services?
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 32 (288 Views)

[ Edited ]

If its congested it may effect iPlayer and Netflix which are both apps that use the internet, but all other tv including most of that catchup such as sky movies and other on demand comes via the coaxial cable and is not effected by this.

Although its possible if its really bad that the EPG will take a while loading, but on the whole tv viewing is mostly unaffected by internet issues.