Menu
Compbck
Superfast
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Secure Logon to VM

I am slightly perplexed, in order to logon to my main VM account the password allowed is restricted to a maximum of 10 letters or numbers and declined my usual password containing a lot more plus unusual characters.

However, when creating a password for the forum it allowed me to create my normal extra long password including additional keyboard characters.

I would thought from a security angle that the password for my logon to the website should at least be as strong as the one used for the forum.

I can only presume that there is a reasonable technical reason for the difference in creating the two passwords.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Secure Logon to VM

Yes they run on two separate platforms. The VM account platform has been criticised in the past for inadequate password security. VM are aware but it would be the devil to change the permitted password construction rules.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Compbck
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Secure Logon to VM

Thanks for the feedback Howard.

I would have thought that following the number of Hacks to competitor companies and the resultant bogus telephone calls to their customers resulting in substantial losses, it would be very much in VM's interest to tweak the password conditions to allow much stronger logins, before a similar disaster befits them, because I will be the first to raise hell if any of my personal information goes astray.

I'm sure the Data Protection Commissioner would likewise be very interested in such weak links.

0 Kudos