Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4 (116 Views)

Residents want to collectively bring High speed service into the street - How do we do it

We are getting a max of 20mbs but realistically time of day, wifi and internal wiring we are looking at between 10-18mbs download and 1mbs upload.

Opposed to those at the bottom and the top of the street who could have 50mb download and 8mb upload speed.

We are on Wideopen exchange and attached to cabinet 17. In the Gosforth area that is served from that exchange, there are over 30 cabinets and of those only 17 (us) and 21 isn’t fibre enabled with no plans in the national roll out.

Somehow we find ourselves in a high speed internet black spot.

Any thoughts? 

NE35ND

Yes

1-8,10,12,14,16,18 Polwarth road

NE35ND

No

9,11,13,15,17,19-40

NE3 5NE

yes

Upper Polwarth

NE3 5NL

yes

Lower Westwood

NE3 5NN

Yes

Upper Westwood

NE3 5NB

No

1-5 Norwood Ave

NE3 5NB

Yes

6 Norwood Ave

NE3 2EB

Yes

1-11 GNR

NE3 5LX

Yes

13-55 GNR

NE3 5LX/y

no

57-77 GNR

NE3 5LY

Yes

79-97 GNR

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4 (85 Views)

Re: Residents want to collectively bring High speed service into the street - How do we do it

I assume you currently have open reach connections at present and would like Virgin Media? If that is the case, all you can do is register your interest via "cable my street" and get your neighbours to do the same. After that it is just wait and hope, but it may take a long time, if ever depending on the cost effectiveness for Virgin Media. The Virgin Media cables, cabinets etc are totally seperate to those used by BT etc.

One of the VM forum team may be able to see if there are any current plans in place.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4 (62 Views)

Re: Residents want to collectively bring High speed service into the street - How do we do it

Thank you. I raised the topic on twitter across various suppliers, and im pleased to say Virgin got intouch.

Good idea about getting the other residents to register interest. It verifies that im discussing on behalf of the collective.

& Yes i have openreach connection currently. The results in the table show the results taken from the Openreach line check tool.

Given the option i would prefer cable to overhead wires etc.

Thanks for the tip

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4 (47 Views)

Virgin broadband works well, provided you are not in an overutilised area, worth checking just before placing an order as it can be very frustrating if your connection slows down at evenings and weekends. Some people who are heavily into on line gaming have complained about the latest Hub3 due to the Intel Puma 6 chip set, but other people have no problems with it. I have the earlier Hub2 so have no personal experience.

I do have an old Tivo, which is frustratingly slow and unresponsive, but by the time you have a chance to sign up everyone new will be getting the new V6 box I expect. Just pop back and have a nose round the forum again if/when you are ready to order to see whether there are any significant issue. But do bear in mind that most people join the forum because they have a problem or complaint. The happy users just get on with using their services.

Good luck.
0 Kudos