Menu
bluenose99
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

REMOTE

Does anybody know why sony can make a controller that works in the next room yet the TiVo remote needs a direct line?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: REMOTE

If you are talking about Sony Playstation controllers, they use Bluetooth which uses radio waves which don't require line of sight.  The old Tivo uses Infra Red, like most conventional TV remotes. The signal between an IR remote control handset and the device it controls consists of pulses of infrared light, hence the need for line of sight.

The new V6 has an RF remote that doesn't need line of sight.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are talking about Sony Playstation controllers, they use Bluetooth which uses radio waves which don't require line of sight.  The old Tivo uses Infra Red, like most conventional TV remotes. The signal between an IR remote control handset and the device it controls consists of pulses of infrared light, hence the need for line of sight.

The new V6 has an RF remote that doesn't need line of sight.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I prefered remotes when they were tethered to the device Smiley Very Happy

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware