Menu
riverman76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Paying too much

I've been a Virgin customer for several years. I currently pay £40.49 for 100 Meg broadband only (no TV, phone etc). The advertised price online is £38 after the first 12 months. After discussing this with the call centre, they reduced my price down to the £38 everybody else pays but would do nothing about the extra money I've been paying.

Long standing customers are the backbone of services like this. Every year or so there's a letter apologising for price rises. £2 one year, £2.50 the next. To leave long standing customers paying more than even the standard 30 day rolling price is really poor. The assume people won't check, and to be fair, it's taken me 6 years or so to do it. I feel taken advantage of, and the fact there's no redress or apology or attempt to make amends by customer services when the issue is pointed out, it's left me bitter and looking elsewhere.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paying too much

new customers always get the better deals. be it with virgin,sky, car insurance etc. things won't change, it is a successful business model for companies. groom the customer in with a cheap price and know most will stay where they are without changing provider. martin lewis bangs on about people moving but most stay because if they are generally happy they do not want the hassle of moving.
0 Kudos
riverman76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

£38 is the price AFTER 12 months. The standard price once offers have expired. I was paying £2.49 extra a month. I get introductory offers and practices (of course...) but to raise existing customers with apologising letters each year to a special idiots level above the standard tariff is contemptible.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi riverman76, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Smiley Happy 

We are always changing our promotions and prices are set are the time you take your services. The only time these would change is if we have a price rise or you call to change your package or negotiate a new price. 

When you call, we wouldn't back date any charges. The new packages were priced before August to include the price rise. I'm sorry if this means you've paid more than a new customer however we can't contact every single customer every time our prices change. 

I'm glad you've gotten the package for the lower price. If you have any further questions then come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
riverman76
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

With all due respect:

"The new packages were priced before August to include the price rise."

Try to see it from my side. I'm an internet only customer. If the service is fast enough and reliable enough for my needs, I've no need to look at new packages, pricing or anything like that. I'd never be exposed to the fact that new packages or pricing even exist. If you have customers on legacy prices paying over the odds, it's surely your responsibility to inform them and automatically move them (or invite them to move) to the new standard price, in much the same way you inform them of price rises. A letter though the post.

"we can't contact every single customer every time our prices change. "

The way you insert the word 'single' in the phrase... every single customer.. Are you suggesting that whenever somebody's price changes (such as the regular price rises) you have to go through each customer record one by one, adjust their price and then type up the letter informing them? Or rather, isn't this an automated process where a very well paid database engineer will program a set of rules to govern the automation of price adjustments, with automated mailouts as a part of these rules?