Menu
Astramaxgte03
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New development installation

I'm moving to a new development in 2 months, how long will it be before virgin install their networks, also why does Bt get to install their network only ? Surely in this day and age it's an open market for competition to lay their networks at the same time which will not make the newly laid roads/pavements look unsightly? 

I have signed up to be notified when they are due to be installed on the development, generally how long is it before virgin are aloud to lay their networks. ? 

0 Kudos
DarkBahamut
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New development installation

Unless VM have stated that they plan to cable that development, I wouldn't count on it happening at all. If it's surrounded by an existing VM network there is a chance, but even then it's rare.

Our area here has a large VM footprint, but the new developments haven't been expanded into at all, even though they are just mere meters from properties that can get VM services. They are still building, but the first homes were finished 4 or 5 years ago now and nothing is available in them other than VDSL.

0 Kudos
Astramaxgte03
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, the lady on the phone earlier told me it could take 1-4 years to get VM installed, but only if their were enough residents to register their interest in vm. 

Which means I'll have to have the very expensive s*y installed now, as bt are offering speeds of up to 17mbps 😂😂😂😂😂😂

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is not an open market at all. Developers get to decide who provisions services in their developments, and it usually depends on who pays them the most money.

I would be looking towards the back end of the 1-4 year range to install VM. Once the pavements and roads are built there's no chance of VM coming onto the scene until the roads have been adopted by the local authority.

Sadly you are stuck with whatever Openreach, or more accurately their resellers offer, and by the sound of it there is no fibre based broadband available at all there. Worse still the 17Mb may not even be what's actually achievable, just a headline figure, as being a new development the details may not be in the Openreach / BT database.

0 Kudos