Menu
stephenfenton1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving a VM cabinet

Last year I logged a call with VM asking if it would be possible to relocate a small street cabinet on Skiddaw in York. I received no response. I don't even know if it is a VM box, so really just wanted to establish ownership as a starting point. Can anyone help please?

Skiddaw box.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving a VM cabinet

Whilst I cant confirm/deny its a VM cabinet, have you any idea the bill you'll face to move a street cabinet, assuming they (whoever it belongs to) are prepared to do it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

£100,000?
and a few days downtime for anyone connected on or though that cabinet
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's very small isn't it.  Perhaps the wife could knit an ornate cover for it ... maybe a pixie sitting on a toadstool with a fishing rod.    Smiley LOL

It would allay any possible rumours that it is really a Russian ballistic missile targeting module.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A lot of the early franchises had cabs like this. Some were used just to house line extenders to bigger cabs several hundred metres away. Relocations on HFC networks are a big job, as wherever the cab is moved too some service tees will be facing the wrong way into the ducting, which in some cases means half the street has to be dug up to reverse them. It will also leave some customers having to have new drops pulled & even their gardens dug up.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whoever owns the cabinet surely the easiest way to fix the problem would be to move all the contents into a sunken concrete box in the pavement. It might even be possible to turn the contents of the box through 90* without even disconnecting anything.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos