********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: More Price Hikes On The Way?

Posted here ..... https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/BT-Sport-prices-up-expect-more-VM-inc...

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

of course virgin will put up their prices as will everyone else. these companies won't take a hit on profits to cover bt and their increase..

no doubt the virgin haters will be out in force. for once though this is someone else that will have forced virgins hand. 

i'm not surprised on the charge for bt tbh. dangle the carrot get people hooked by grooming them then start charging. it's a good business model.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It will be interesting to see which way this goes.

Virgin now have a 4K compatible box in use, so VM might approach BT about making their 4K content available either as PPV or as a standalone channel. This could then be a bargaining chip to keep the cost of the existing channels down. I have no doubt the main reasons BT are hiking prices for their own customers is because they are now having to finance 4K production in an ever more expensive market.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's too bad that the price of one's broadband is more often than raised to finance those who love soccer/football. I hate soccer/football personally and would rather bore myself to death watching in-door bowling than watch a single soccer/football game. Any price increases because of T.V. related by a company spends should only be taken on solely by customers who choose to have the T.V. service.

"Hello TV customers, I hear you wanted more sport. Have a 70% price increase on your broadband, TV and phone services individually. This is to finance your demands for more sports, so thank us later."

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Addams Family Version-2.jpg
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is where the line gets blurred as far as BT/Plusnet/TalkTalk are concerned. Their pay TV services are internet delivered, & you cannot take TV without the Broadband connection it requires from the same company. BT does make an income from satellite, but only from its Sports channels & AMC.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM is a different kettle of fish, having their own infrastructure. The BT price hikes give VM the opportunity for converting customers. .

For as long as BT continue sweating revenue from the inferior copper/aluminium to the home, they are vulnerable to VM penetration. The extra £2.50/month isn't going to give BT customers faster broadband.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Plusnet is owned by BT now, as is EE.

http://ee.co.uk/help/ee-is-now-part-of-bt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plusnet

If LG (Liberty Global) acquired B4RN for example, (and/or other small Gb providers around the country) it would tie in well with VM speedy broadband advertising. Just a thought...Man Surprised

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos