Menu
Merikiito
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Long term Virgin customer looking to leave and still cannot get a deal unless I am a new customer **bleep**

So Virgin want to put my monthly cost up by another £2.99. So I contact them to find they will do me a deal so my payment stays at £39 a month for the next six months. I have 100mb broadband and a phone line (not needed) and I am told its the best they can offer me. So I quote that Vodaphone can offer me up to 76mb for £24 including a phone line and still Virgin cannot improve on my deal. So I start checking the comparison websites to find that new customers can get my deal at £30 a month via uSwitch. So Virgin why can I not get that offer? Does it mean because I am not a new customer and have been with you for at least 25 years since the NTL days that you no long want my business? You really need to start looking after your existing customer base before trying to get new customers...

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jnoble100
Dialled in
Message 22 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Long term Virgin customer looking to leave and still cannot get a deal unless I am a new customer **b

Wow, very strangely one of our friends yesterday said they only paid £21 a month as well.  Maybe there is a special deal somewhere that you can get.  What did you say to them that made them call back?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Long term Virgin customer looking to leave and still cannot get a deal unless I am a new customer **b

you are nto a new customer so you wont get a new customer deal
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

you don't know how business works merikiito - new customers always get the best deals to groom them into buying. once signed up, things will be increased by a much larger amount than the new customer deal. if you haggle then you may be offered a better deal on what you are paying. but it will never be as good as what a new customer gets.

gas, electric,car insurance, sky, virgin. they all do it. it is a business model that works well. 'loyal' customers make the money for the business and it is proven that most people simply stay with that business despite increases. the leavers are a small percentage of the customer base and any losses are absorbed and in some cases increases passed onto current customers to take that into account.
0 Kudos
Merikiito
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I know how business works but it is easy to hold onto a current customer than gain a new one, I have been in sales for over 30 years and run my own business. The fact of the matter is its a poor business practice that needs to be stamped out, you get nothing for being loyal except being charged more for services and products. Once you lose a customer they are never likely to come back and will also voice their displeasure over social media and word of mouth. When businesses wake up to the idea of looking after there current customers then they will realise they don't need to spend thousands on advertising as it will be done for them by their customers.

av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

You don't have to have a phone line. It's just that broadband + phone is discounted for new customers so is cheaper than signing up to broadband only.

Broadband only is not discounted for new customers, everyone pays the same price. The price for VIVID 100 on its own is £38 you'll be pleased to hear, £1 less than you're paying now. Ring up, use the "thinking of leaving us" option and ask to be put on that plan.

By the way, where did you see that Vodafone deal for £24? Last time I checked it was £25 for 38 and £30 for 76.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Merikiito
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Bizarrely Vodaphone puts the deal on its website so its not that hard to find, 20% off https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals

uSwitch have an exclusive Virgin deal of 100mb broadband plus line rental at £30 but Virgin retentions will not match this so they will lose me as a customer after 25 years

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Be careful with upto deals, you do not know the true speed. If you already have VM, you do know the real speed of your connection. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Tudor wrote:

Be careful with upto deals, you do not know the true speed. If you already have VM, you do know the real speed of your connection. 

Everyone, including Virgin sell their packages as "up to". BT give you the minimum speed you can expect before you sign up, not sure about the others.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

also love vodafone comparison chart.

Showing Vodafone 38mbps server
Talktalk it doesn;t say the package
Sky 38 mbps package
and BT 52mbps package.

not really fair to compare services of different speeds against cost is it..

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
also love vodafone comparison chart.

Showing Vodafone 38mbps server
Talktalk it doesn;t say the package
Sky 38 mbps package
and BT 52mbps package.

not really fair to compare services of different speeds against cost is it..

TalkTalk 'Faster Fibre' is the name of their fibre 38 service. BT no longer offer the 40/10 tier, only 55/10 so that customers on Infinity 1 can get their 4K sports content via BT TV which streams at around 44Mb/s.

You've got to admit, £20 for 38Mb & £24 for 76Mb is a very good price, includes phone line as well. I've never seen fibre broadband that cheap, it's a steal. 

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited