Menu
RoyGibson111
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin

Looking to probably leave Virgin for Sky - most seamless way to do this?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin

As the two are on different sets of infrastructure, Id order SKY, get a confirmed install date , then give your 30 days notice leaving an overlap of maybe a week (or two). That means should hiccups happen (they do with any supplier) you still have services.

BTW when SKY tell you they can cancel down your VM phone account- they cant, you need to do that yourself. It should remain open until SKY confirm they have ported the number, if thats what you want.

RoyGibson111
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated, I don't use a landline, just for broadband Internet, will look into things, cheers
0 Kudos
LilMo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We too have just very recently left VM also and moved to Sky..no complaints either with Sky and we've halved our monthly bill that was our reason for leaving and they couldn't offer us any better deal in fact they actually increased it by £4 when the woman on the phone said hold on I'll see what I can do then came back with a £4 increase imagine that someone to brush up on their maths.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

RoyGibson111 wrote:
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated, I don't use a landline, just for broadband Internet, will look into things, cheers

Just a couple of things to bear in mind:

1   With Sky, thy'll give you a land line - otherwise Broadband won't work.

2   Do make sure they've given you a download speed estimate for reasons stated below.

The speed you'll achieve declines with your increased distance from the BT green cabinet.  Their 38 meg download speed should be achievable at least 400 metres from the cabinet, though if your cable back to the cabinet is aluminium, not copper, then you may only see around 7 meg upload speed.  

There are pitfalls to be aware of when selecting Sky Fibre or BT Infinity or the like.  On the other hand, there is a solid value proposition that Sky currently offer.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Robertx66
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey I have just left sky due to sky fibre issues I can only get at most 26mb download instead of 38 you can't have a lot of devices on this so if you have a gaming console phone etc on wifi the speeds drop dramatically I have had problems since Feb this year and still going on I don't go live with virgin to 6th Dec would not recommend sky in any way
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's all a bit of a lottery really and I don't think you can say that one major ISP is any worse or better than the nearest competition in general terms. 

There are so many variables including state of the cables or phone lines (for DSL), how far you are from the nearest distribution point and how much over-utilisation there is in a particular area, to name just three.  It helps to chat with neighbours to see what their experiences have been like but that still doesn't offer any guarantees.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

does sky have a limit on there monthly usage you have to watch out don't get one with a limit downloading

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

for sky its near the same price for internet of bt you can look at plusnet they are uk based

Using VIVID 200 Gamer Optical Fibre, Full House TV, Talk More Anytime

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
LilMo
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Sephiroth
I did read your post on the thread but we are really not big users of Internet so the speed we get suffices I couldn't even tell you what speed we have with Sky but it does what we want it to do. But in saying that I do thank you for taking the time to reply especially to me regarding it.
VM have messed me about so very very much over mobile phone upgrade one says I can have it now other says no another one says yes u can jus pay off your existing 2 months £45 which I said I would do no bother only to be let down again because I never received the 3 emails to sign.
The monthly cost too was the main reason we got an offer of Sky for £44 per month VM we were paying in the £90's every month and we had no fancy package either like sport or films. In fact our add ons were £17.99.
Sky so far has been ok we did have a few teething problems the dish needed moved as our signal was low and had to wait over 2 weeks for appt for engineer as some channels were scrambled so unwatchable and some we could get said signal wasn't able to show and some we recorded were scrambled too. But it's all working well now since dish was moved.

0 Kudos