Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7 (183 Views)

Just round corner - come on Virgin

[ Edited ]

I live in Swansea, in the Bonymaen area.

Where I am, I only have BT as an option and they keep pushing back the date for fast broadband.

Virgin is in the road that runs along the top of my road, yet dont come in to the culdisac I live in

Postcode of the road the cable is in is SA1 7AF,

Come on Virgin get to me with your cables... I really want faster broadband!

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7 (150 Views)

Re: Just round corner - come on Virgin

I have the same problem that VM is just down the road from me and Openreach keep pushing me back on getting FTTC :/ I live North West though. It really is a joke when we are in 2017 and technology is way better and also file sizes are way more bigger, yet we have to suffer with really slow adsl/adsl2+ speeds.

Superfast
Message 3 of 7 (135 Views)

I doubt anyone on here can do anything about getting your street cabled. Have you and all of your neighbours registered an interest via "Cable My Street"? Your stand a better chance of success if you can convince VM that they will get multiple extra customers from their investment. If some of your neighbours are not interested and object to the disruption or will not agree any required wayleaves you could have a very difficult time.
Good Luck.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7 (109 Views)

Prynhawn da philenglandSA1

Thanks for taking the time to drop by with your Cable My Street query Smiley Happy

I appreciate not all areas of Swansea are pre cabled as there are many new housing areas springing up and that have sprung up in the last 20 years or so since the area was last heavily cabled by companies like CableTel and Cable & Wireless as they were back in the day.

If you've not already, if you can register your interest on the above link, that would be fab!

Additionally if you can drop a private message to me with your name and full address, I can then flag this to the teams for you and will get back to you as soon as I can to let you know if this is in the pipeline yet.

To PM me, simply:

• Click on my forum name on the left of this post.
  • Go to my profile.
  • On the right had side, select the 'send me a message' option.

Once you've popped those details to me I'll be back in touch to confirm.

Diolch Smiley Very Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 7 (78 Views)

[ Edited ]

philenglandSA1 wrote:

I live in Swansea, in the Bonymaen area.

Where I am, I only have BT as an option and they keep pushing back the date for fast broadband.

Virgin is in the road that runs along the top of my road, yet dont come in to the culdisac I live in

Postcode of the road the cable is in is SA1 7AF,

@philenglandSA1

According to this site: https://beta.gov.wales/go-superfast/can-i-get-it

The situation for your postcode is (assuming it's cabinet 56 that you're on - I just selected the first address): "Openreach is connecting power to the new fibre cabinet and joining the new fibre lines to the existing copper network. You can't order a fibre service today but typically it'll be available to your premises within the next four months. If you'd like Openreach to let you know when you can order fibre, register your details. Find out more about the Openreach fibre journey."

"This information is subject to further detailed survey and is therefore indicative and may be subject to change during the life of the project. The map is provided by BT and the information provided is not controlled by the Welsh Government."

I know it's frustrating but shouldn't be too long now if they've built the fibre cabinet. Best keep an eye on the BT fibre cabinet and then ask any BT engineer you see what the situation is. 

As for Virgin, it's a completely separate network with unrelated time scales.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7 (61 Views)

Morning Phil, I hope you're enjoying this gorgeous sunny Swansea morning Smiley Happy

I've passed that onto the teams and when they get back to me I'll let you know what they say.

Fingers crossed for you. Pob lwc!

Kaz

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Forum Team
Message 7 of 7 (49 Views)

Hi Phil

Not great news I'm afraid.

There are currently no plans or planning being made for new development in the Swansea. We double checked the Bonymaen area specifically too.

If you like though we can drop some leaflets up to you? You're kind of on my way home so I can pop a batch or two up if you fancy canvassing the area to drive interest.

The more people we get registered on Cable My Street the better, and as there is an existing network in Swansea, it should be relatively simple to extend in the areas where a network cable is nearby, which I know is the case for you. I know it's not just location but planning/funding/costs/permissions etc so there's a lot more than just that to building the network but essentially you're in a good position to start from Smiley Happy

If you need some leaflets let me know. They're in batches of 50 so if you need more than one just let me know.

Cheers

Kaz

Karen_A
Forum Team