Menu
dfb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installers have just cut through my gas supply

Wonderful, I am a SKY user and am having Virgin Media cables installed outside my house. About one hour ago the installers have just cut into the gas supply to my and my neighbours house. SGN are now in attendance we have no gas supply (capped by SGN) and they are now digging out the bottom of our drive leaving us no vehicular access until repaired. We have no heating or gas for cooking. Do Virgin Media intend to compensate myself and my neighbour for OUR inconvenience???

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installers have just cut through my gas supply

Let me pass you on a Lawyers advice, as the same happened to some friends of ours a few years ago.

The damage is on the supply side of the meter, so is gas company property whether its on your drive or out in a public street, & compensation will therefore only be paid to the gas company. It is them you should claim from if your supply is interrupted for more than their statutary "minimum" period (usually 24 hours, but you need to check on this).

If the drive is not reinstated properly afterward, that is another matter entirely.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not sure about your neighbor getting anything, but you certainly likely could get some recompense from the situation.

You can log a complaint about it via recorded delivery letter to the following postal address: Complaints, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ

Or Moderation Team member may be able to assist with the matter, normally you'll get a response from one of them within a week.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1. i doubt they did that deliberately

2. it's being repaired , right now, free of charge

3. as it was the gas utility property that's been damaged, surely they are the ones to be asking for compensation not you ?

3.- but out of interest how much money are you wanting  and who should  it come from - the workmen's paypackets, our next VM consumer price rise, or what ?

0 Kudos
dfb
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would expect Virgin Media to supply recompense, it is their installers who have cut through the Gas Supply whilst they were installing as to for of recompense that is open to them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Let me pass you on a Lawyers advice, as the same happened to some friends of ours a few years ago.

The damage is on the supply side of the meter, so is gas company property whether its on your drive or out in a public street, & compensation will therefore only be paid to the gas company. It is them you should claim from if your supply is interrupted for more than their statutary "minimum" period (usually 24 hours, but you need to check on this).

If the drive is not reinstated properly afterward, that is another matter entirely.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dfb
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Certainly will take that into consideration, what is truly getting up my nose now at 08:30 the day after is I still have no gas and since the pipe was dug into not one person from the Virgin Media installation team has come anywhere near us to see if we are OK, explain what is happening. SGN due back to complete this morning and have been brilliant.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi dfb

I am sorry to hear you were impacted by an incident that was generated as a result of the teams we had working on your street last week Smiley Sad

I hope that this was resolved for you to your eventual satisfaction once the Gas Board repaired the damage.

These instances are hardly ideal but it does happen occasionally, to us too, when other suppliers cut our cables, and we all work together to get this repaired/restored as soon as we can.

Please let us know if there is anything else you would like us to look into.

Kindest regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

dfb
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but that is not acceptable. I had no gas, limited access to my property for over 24hrs. It irks me that at no time since the gas was cut through by Virgin Media installers did anyone from Virgin Media installation come anywhere near us or our neighbours in any form. I have written my concerns directly by recorded delivery as advised previously and will await response from that.