Menu
Ian020
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Installation Query

Hi - Sorry never posted here to If this is the wrong place my apologies.

Just wanted a bit of advice if I could.
I had Virgin media and it was fantastic for 99% of the time, and it via the fibre optic high speed service.
However I moved house and now although the cable is at the end of the drive way, and every other house around me has it, for some reason I appear to not be able to get - something about not being viable??!
The drive way is approx 4 car lengths long, and the cable that has been put int he road is clearly visible as is the other connections made off of it.

I am trying to work out how exactly I could get VM to install the FO service.
Could they use BT's existing conduit?
Could I dig up the road myself?
If I put in a line of some sort from my house to where the FO line is would they attach it?

Help please.

Cheers Ian

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Query

Ian020 wrote:

Hi - Sorry never posted here to If this is the wrong place my apologies.

Just wanted a bit of advice if I could.
I had Virgin media and it was fantastic for 99% of the time, and it via the fibre optic high speed service.
However I moved house and now although the cable is at the end of the drive way, and every other house around me has it, for some reason I appear to not be able to get - something about not being viable??!
The drive way is approx 4 car lengths long, and the cable that has been put int he road is clearly visible as is the other connections made off of it.

I am trying to work out how exactly I could get VM to install the FO service.

Could they use BT's existing conduit?
No, 1) its not suitable & 2) BT owns it & there is no sharing agreement for infrastructure.

Could I dig up the road myself?
Depends 1) whether you own it & 2) how deep your pockets are.
VM's criteria for installing are now quite generous, so if you have been declared unserviceable the installation costs will be several thousand pounds.

If I put in a line of some sort from my house to where the FO line is would they attach it?
As above

Help please.

Cheers Ian

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Ian020
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Query

Thank you the prompt response. Smiley Happy
Yeah unfortunately I keep kinda getting the run around with that.
Have asked several times for s spotter and from what I know of simply by asking about it via phone call, the spotter doesn't even come to the property - just apparently turns up in the van looks at the road my house and doesn't even bother knocking on the door to talk to me for 30 secs to say unfortunately no you can't due to - REASONS.
I suppose I shall have to look into the digging the road up thing myself and see how much it would cost for things etc.
It is a coax cable isn't it, from what i remember.
That way all that would need to be done would be either they put there own cable in a pre-dug hole/trench, or connect the line I put in to both there bit and my house.

But yeah - Very much appreciated.
Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos