Menu
Visitor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

IP Address banning

Last time I visited this forum I received a message saying I was banned and the reason given was advertising. I wrote to VM to complain..

If I decide to use a proxy then it may well be used by thousands of people, any one of those people could have visited here and posted advertisements.

Thats my guess anyway

So tell me something other than you banned a US proxy IP address, so that I can reply to the VM letter I got this morning. As I have now logged in with the proxy switched off.

Banning IP addresses is completely stupid, you end up banning many people for no reason at all

Please DONT click the Kudos
0 Kudos
Visitor
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP Address banning

virgin forum banned.jpg

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Visitor wrote:

Last time I visited this forum I received a message saying I was banned and the reason given was advertising. I wrote to VM to complain..

If I decide to use a proxy then it may well be used by thousands of people, any one of those people could have visited here and posted advertisements.

Thats my guess anyway

So tell me something other than you banned a US proxy IP address, so that I can reply to the VM letter I got this morning. As I have now logged in with the proxy switched off.

Banning IP addresses is completely stupid, you end up banning many people for no reason at all

Problem is, if an IP has been identified for sending a lot of spam then the only option you have is to ban that IP as they will just continue to make accounts and spam, its a reason i never waste time with a proxy, people get to paranoid about being tracked and your PC leaks enough identifiable information as it is anyway, they don't really care about the IP you connect from and you can easily spot proxy traffic if you care enough to log it, its not like google cares if you're connecting from the USA or the UK, its identifying YOU not your IP, so while IP bans are generally useless if they do actually solve the issue then there isn't much that can be done, just use your actual IP as that will only get blocked if you or its previous owner did something wrong, not if some random on the other side of the world connected to the same proxy does Smiley Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Visitor

Can you come up with a better suggestion as to how to deal with people who abuse VPN services to advertise then?

While you yourself may have been innocently caught up by this, the fact is that Forum administrators have a right to protect themselves using whatever means they see fit.  If they see advertising traffic coming in from specific IP's they WILL block it.  It it happens to be a VPN endpoint then yes it can and will block all users of that particular VPN endpoint.  I myself am blocked from posting if I connect through CyberGhost.

I've seen and flagged some of the spam that is posted, in fact I still shudder when I remember the foreign language spam that came through in the bucketloads on the course of one night last year. Smiley Sad

As long as spammers continue to abuse the internet I for one support any means of keeping them out, including IP bans.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Visitor
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If your going to ban innocent people, who did nothing wrong, your not doing your job right, instead you take an easy way out of not deleting accounts and just ban everyone.

This forum belongs to VM, not those who moderate it, if you cant do your job with the current script, tell them to fix it, links and ads are easily automatically removed.

More so, change the wording of the "Your Banned" to a clear indication that the IP address has been used in the past for spam, least then the person will know the problem.

I got an email telling me the account here has been compromised, I get here and find im banned.. What would you first think?.

Yer now I know it was spam, not then, the letter reply from Virgin Media found the problem, nobody here.

If I want to use a paid VPN service I will use it.. Built into the Router !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I notice you haven't answered my question.

if you ran the forum, how would YOU deal with people who might create additional accounts to get round an individual account ban, all posted from the same IP address?

And for record, the forum moderators are all employed by Virgin Media.  I do not work for them myself but do flag posts up for them to investigate where appropriate.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Visitor wrote:

If your going to ban innocent people, who did nothing wrong, your not doing your job right, instead you take an easy way out of not deleting accounts and just ban everyone.

This forum belongs to VM, not those who moderate it, if you cant do your job with the current script, tell them to fix it, links and ads are easily automatically removed.

More so, change the wording of the "Your Banned" to a clear indication that the IP address has been used in the past for spam, least then the person will know the problem.

I got an email telling me the account here has been compromised, I get here and find im banned.. What would you first think?.

Yer now I know it was spam, not then, the letter reply from Virgin Media found the problem, nobody here.

If I want to use a paid VPN service I will use it.. Built into the Router !

Nobody will stop you using a VPN service, however it does mean that you run the rick of encountering IP bans like this as VPN's are shared, at the end of the day deleting individual accounts is time consuming and you have to check between legit new accounts and spam registered accounts created just to advertise, IP bans work against persistent offending IP's, yes some legit users will get caught in the crossfire potentially, but the number is slim and defaulting back to your VM IP will result in you being able to access whatever you were IP banned for in the first place

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"If I want to use a paid VPN service I will use it." and VM want to ban that ip OR your ip for any reason they have every right to.

You use a IP that has been used to break the rules and you mean you can't access the site. Wake up call. IT HAPPENS get over yourself you are not that importent
Visitor
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, like I said easy, no need to ban anyone, just automatically remove the ads links etc

Your email is currently excluded from receiving community notifications

Ill just reply to the real owners

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Visitor wrote:

Yes, like I said easy, no need to ban anyone, just automatically remove the ads links etc

Your email is currently excluded from receiving community notifications

Ill just reply to the real owners

If only it were that simple, i mean its not like an infinite number of domains can be registered, or people using URL shortening services or free hosting sites etc, its impossible to automate removal of 100% of spam, even email spam filters, specifically MADE for that job can be gamed and beaten, what on earth makes you think VM can manage it if even google can't manage it with their massive resources Smiley Tongue

Its all well and good making reasonable requests but what you suggest is literally asking for the impossible without having every single URL moderated, and they aren't going to spend the time, and thats before you even get to the part where you change the website contents after the mods have approved the URL, i mean i can replace it with the drop of a single file Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos