Menu
Boston
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I got an e-mail from my sister today!

I got an e-mail from my sister today, normally I would have been pleased to read it but it was spam from someone I have never heard of, the worst thing about this is that my sister died a long time ago.

There really are some sick b******s in this world.

photo Image1_zps3vrvxc7k.jpg
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I got an e-mail from my sister today!

Hello Boston,

Have you changed your email password and security question?  I think you may find that you have a larger problem with your email account.

What was the part of the email address after the @-sign?  In the past few days, these spammers, who have stolen all the display names and email addresses from several hundred Virgin Media accounts, have been sending messages in which they pick up a display name and the first part of an email address from your account, someone you are likely to know. They then append something different after the @-sign and use the result as a false from address when they send spam.  In the reports I've seen over the weekend, there were Brazilian addresses, for example, @terra.com.br and @biofiestas.br.  

What was the subject of the message which appeared to be from your sister?   In these cases, the subjects follow a pattern of something generic and short and chatty, like "cool stuff", "Fw: just a message", "news from me", or "some information".

If you have a situation like these other cases, it is worth identifying early so that you can protect yourself and limit the damage the spammers can do.  The cases I'm familiar with are not benign and not standard spoofing since a great deal of information has been stolen from the account and is stored by the spammers for repeated use at irregular intervals.

-Wrock

0 Kudos

All Replies
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello Boston,

Do you have any of these other symptoms?

1) The spam message you received apparently from your deceased sister is short, contains a link, and an entreaty to visit the link?

2) People you know have also received a short spam message apparently from you or your sister.

3) Your account has received messages letting you know that some emails could not be delivered, messages which you did not send.

Change your email password and security question to protect your account from further access.  

Since August 2015, there are about 540 known cases in which Virgin Media accounts have been accessed, the perpetrators have stolen all of the email addresses in the account going back for years, including addresses for people who are no longer alive, and then these stolen addresses receive chronic rounds of spam, ongoing for months.  The spam is spoofed so that the from address is not the actual from address.  The apparent from address and display name will be your name and address, or the display name and address of one of the addresses stolen from your account.

The same spammers got into AOL accounts in a big way in April 2014.  There were reports of people receiving messages from people who were no longer alive.  Here is an example,

https://twitter.com/RonDeFulio/status/461494355786625024

-Wrock

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boston wrote:

I got an e-mail from my sister today, normally I would have been pleased to read it but it was spam from someone I have never heard of, the worst thing about this is that my sister died a long time ago.

There really are some sick b******s in this world.

Thing is, its unlikely to be someone being sick or even knowing she is deceased, anyone can set the display name and te email address listed as the sender, i've often had spam that claims to be from myself because of spammers who don't actually know how to code in a simple check to see if the from and to address is the same, nothing you can really do about it due to the way the email system was designed

0 Kudos
Boston
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In my post I forgot to say that my sisters account name was the same but the @****.com wasn’t the same; I guess that the spammer has seen one of my e-mails and the people I sent them to.

At “Wrock”, 1) The spam message you received apparently from your deceased sister is short, contains a link, and an entreaty to visit the link? Is the one that was in the e-mail. 

At “shanematthews” Thank you for the response.

Regards Boston

0 Kudos
Wrock
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Boston,

Have you changed your email password and security question?  I think you may find that you have a larger problem with your email account.

What was the part of the email address after the @-sign?  In the past few days, these spammers, who have stolen all the display names and email addresses from several hundred Virgin Media accounts, have been sending messages in which they pick up a display name and the first part of an email address from your account, someone you are likely to know. They then append something different after the @-sign and use the result as a false from address when they send spam.  In the reports I've seen over the weekend, there were Brazilian addresses, for example, @terra.com.br and @biofiestas.br.  

What was the subject of the message which appeared to be from your sister?   In these cases, the subjects follow a pattern of something generic and short and chatty, like "cool stuff", "Fw: just a message", "news from me", or "some information".

If you have a situation like these other cases, it is worth identifying early so that you can protect yourself and limit the damage the spammers can do.  The cases I'm familiar with are not benign and not standard spoofing since a great deal of information has been stolen from the account and is stored by the spammers for repeated use at irregular intervals.

-Wrock

0 Kudos
Boston
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wrock wrote:

Hello Boston,

-Wrock

Hi “Wrock” I did as you suggested and changed my password, the e-mail was @inspiredyoga.com, and how they got passed my password (if they did) is hard to understand as it was a very strong one according to the password checker.

I got one a few weeks ago from my sister, that time was a different @******.com, I changed my password then as well, we shall continue to check on what happens, thank you for your assistance.

Regards Boston.

0 Kudos