Menu
scgordon81
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How long after cables are laid will we have access to virgin?

Hi,
Sorry if this seems an impatient question. However we moved last week to an area that only bt provides broadband to. Bismal broadband at that! I have 4 boys who are very regular internet users as well as my husband. I am also at university and need regular access to the Internet and what we have at the moment is struggling to even support 1 device without disruption. Virgin were here when we moved in laying cables on the street and are just about finishing up now. I was wondering if anybody had any idea even roughly of how long we should expect to wait now for it all to be up and running? When I've contacted virgin they say it will all be up and running within 6 months but when I rang a month ago prior to moving they also said 6 months then too. We are really struggling with the current supply so if anybody has any idea even roughly I'd be very grateful. Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How long after cables are laid will we have access to virgin?

Nobody here will have any idea and you can be sure that even VM don't have much of an idea themselves. The first you will know that VM are ready to supply is when the flyers advertising the service start to arrive.

In the meantime register your interest here:

https://cablemystreet.virginmedia.com/#!/cablemystreet

and get as many of your neighbours as you can to do so as well. If VM think there is money to be made and quickly (return on investment) they'll get a move on.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
scgordon81
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have already registered my interest and so have my neighbours. I was looking for people who had perhaps been through the process of having the cables laid then accessed virgin Internet sometime later who could have given me an rough idea of their experience. I presume virgin wouldn't be laying cables at all if they didn't think there was a return to be made. Thankyou for your reply but I think I will wait to see if someone does have an idea which would be helpful.
0 Kudos
w4seem
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, did you finally get connected? I'm in the same boat now and waiting for the connection to become live. It's been about 2 months since they laid the cables.
0 Kudos
scgordon81
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,
Yes finally we did. "Finally" being the operative word though unfortunately. The cables were finished being laid in October last year and I am now 1 month in to my contract with virgin. The internet is better than we had before although that's not difficult... it isn't as good as they say. Even with brand new cables etc and paying for the vivid 200 we can only really use 4 devices at any 1 time before we start to have problems. This may seem great but you are meant to be able to use up to 10 devices at any 1 time with the vivid 200 with no problems. However other than that and the ridiculous amount of time it took to go live (which I think is average from what I hear unfortunately) I can't complain it's quite good as average internet goes. I guess I just expected it to be exceptional given how they portray it. sorry I couldn't give you more reassuring news! It's awful putting up with bad internet as everything's online now!! Hope you get sorted sooner than I did.
0 Kudos