Menu
spritley
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Home routers supplied by ISPs can be compromised en masse

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250278/Home_routers_supplied_by_ISPs_can_be_compromised_en_m...

Home routers supplied by ISPs can be compromised en masse

Some ISP servers used to manage routers provisioned to customers can be hacked from the Internet, researchers from Check Point said the core of the problem is an increasingly used protocol known as TR-069 or CWMP (customer-premises equipment wide area network management protocol)

chezzypop
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home routers supplied by ISPs can be compromised en masse

Sounds pretty nasty doesn't it? What other modem/router combos are out there that are safer, perhaps even better than the ISP ones?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

it dosn;t matter as you have to use the VM supplied ones.
0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to bump a really old thread but i only just noticed apcyberax reply , i some how missed it before.

@ apcyberax

How is the VM's TR-069 protocol any different to all the others that use CWMP (customer-premises equipment wide area network management protocol) ?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

spritley wrote:

Sorry to bump a really old thread but i only just noticed apcyberax reply , i some how missed it before.

@ apcyberax

How is the VM's TR-069 protocol any different to all the others that use CWMP (customer-premises equipment wide area network management protocol) ?

No different than the device management protocol used on every router, mobile and IoT device on the planet.

bluesaffliction
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You can turn off remote assistance and you can put your device into modem mode and use another router behind it. 

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Just to clarify - we're aware of the research that was conducted in 2014, however the specific issues raised are not applicable to our network.

Thanks

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

spritley
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks James Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Bragi
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

James,

# Sorry, raised a new thread in the security forum and couldn't find out how to delete this post - so it's a duplicate #

Found this thread when looking for a Virgin Media post about the Mirai worm because of the connection with the TR-069 protocol.

This malware is doings rounds in the UK press and TalkTalk is being scolded by BBC for not giving adequate security advice but when I called the Virgin Media customer service I was told that 'we don't support the Mirai system' which made me suspect they don't understand what Mirai is !?!

So my question is: is your routers susceptible to the Mirai malware worm? If so, what are doing about it? And should we as customers do anything about it?

Regards,

Bragi

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

"we don't support the Mirai system"

VM tech support at its best Smiley Happy

your only comfort is that if Mirai does get into your VM supplied kit- it will probably crash regularly / slow to a crawl - like their other apps - then get dropped by the botmaster for crap performance Smiley Happy

anyway , all you have to do is NOT use any default passwords & it has no easy way in.