Menu
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Helpful Answers.

Why is it possible to mark your own posts as "helpful answers"?

Kudos and Helpful Answer system is open to abuse?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Helpful Answers.

Sololobo wrote:

Why is it possible to mark your own posts as "helpful answers"?

Kudos and Helpful Answer system is open to abuse?

The thread owner(originator) can mark their own post ('s and any others) on same thread as "Helpful...." but only award K's to others and not themselves. Additionally it's not unreasonable to derive an answer (or helpful post) yourself from your own investigations or from other threads/forums and while plagiarizing some one else without due accreditation may be in-professional it does unfortunately occur as well.... The thread owner can also "unmark" Helpful Answers (but sadly not Kudo's they may have errorneously awarded to others). Of course HA's and K's (and a lot of user activity) is always open to "ambiguity" at best and abuse at worst which is why you have T&C's, Moderators and ability to flag any post to a Mod that you feel is non-compliant with Forum T&C's.

Personally I find Kudo's of little value except a quick courtesy to acknowledge a post that I find interesting,helpful. Similarly HA's can often be of questionable merit when compared to thread owner's original problem - but that's entirely the OP's prerogative. If you also compound the somewhat arbitrary numeric award/use of "Badges" and (often asinine) "Ranks" (particularly SuperUsers!!! Smiley Tongue ) then debatably a new/naive forum poster can be misled on perceived credibility of a poster rather than objectively assessing a responders technical answer/suggestion individually in context rather than judging on "league tables" perhaps?

Ultimately of course if Badges,Ranks, Kudo's, Atta-Boys/Girls and league tables continue to encourage more to append constructively than some of us more cynical fossils then it's difficult to suggest more accurate, intuitive, unambiguous consistently reliable alternatives within current Lithium forum software.
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos