Menu
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Helpful Answers.

Is anybody else really irritated by the way "Helpful Answers" are being elevated to the top of a thread, to the detriment of the flow of questions and answers?

Or is it just me?

Here's a case in point: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/No-Internet-No-help-on-phone/m-p/3221240#M...

One question, followed immediately by six "Helpful Answers", all bumped to the top of the thread, totally destroying any continuity within the thread and making it virtually impossible to follow. 

Often posts have been flagged as being a helpful answer when they are not, and it's now obvious that an OP can actually flag a post of their own as a Helpful Answer.(See message # 3 in the linked thread for an example.)

How the hell does that work?

Jeez. I should just go through all the posts I have made myself and flag them as "Helpful Answers", that would certainly improve my stats!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Helpful Answers.

Completely agree with both of your points which I have raised previously.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've always hated that about the forum layout.  It's a ridiculous idea and looks awful.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hate, hate, hate, it, just another stupid' innovation' thought up by some stupid 'employee' to boost his/her 'credibility' within the company, and to hell with how it actually 'works' or doesn't, much like the stupid 'badges' they award you for so many posts, even if you reply to your own question because they won't....

The fact that VM persist in these silly antics, yet ignore the REAL problems with this site are obvious, and in a peverse I way think they do it deliberately just to annoy the users, and have a laugh at our expense.... 

The actual 'service' they provide gets worse by the day, (now 2 weeks to get a reply to posts!!) yet these 'innovations' keep being introduced...

Go figure for yourselves, folks...

rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

e shoulRe: Helpful Answers.

We should plan a coup.Not a chicken coop but a coup d'etat. Not quite sure what one of them is, but I think it's where we shake our fists about and swear a bit.

That'll show em.

0 Kudos
rockinr1ch
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: e shoulRe: Helpful Answers.

Sorry, may have been thinking of chicken soup, which also makes me shake my fists and swear a bit for some reason.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

Is anybody else really irritated by the way "Helpful Answers" are being elevated to the top of a thread, to the detriment of the flow of questions and answers?

Or is it just me?

Here's a case in point: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/No-Internet-No-help-on-phone/m-p/3221240#M...

One question, followed immediately by six "Helpful Answers", all bumped to the top of the thread, totally destroying any continuity within the thread and making it virtually impossible to follow. 

Often posts have been flagged as being a helpful answer when they are not, and it's now obvious that an OP can actually flag a post of their own as a Helpful Answer.(See message # 3 in the linked thread for an example.)

How the hell does that work?

Jeez. I should just go through all the posts I have made myself and flag them as "Helpful Answers", that would certainly improve my stats!

It's now the middle of February 2017 and we still have the continuity of threads being disrupted by this stupid forum design of elevating so called "helpful answers" to the top of threads, even when they are obviously not helpful in any way shape or form.

Some naive poster (not necessarily the OP) may have inadvertently/deliberately flagged a post as "helpful", thus awarding a green tick on the thread, making it seem like an actual solution has been provided, when it has not.

It's bad enough that it now takes up to 14 days for VM staff to respond to a request for assistance, having a spurious reply that an issue has received a "helpful answer" when that is not the case is adding insult to injury.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.