Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 14 (423 Views)

Green Cabinet Removed OFF my land

I have been round the park with this one. I have contact every possible internal department and spoke to every team.

In a nutshell, 

a) Im not a virgin account holder. 

b) I dont have a virgin number.

I simply have a green cabinet inside my property (front garden). I simply need someone to come down and remove the box off my land. 

the box is located in my front garden and initially I was advised that an engineer will be to resolve the issue within 48 hours (and no one showed up) so I called again and someone then told me the issue will be resolved in 5-7 days, and guess what I called again and surprise surprise no one showed up. 

I was given a number to call and speak to the Diversionary team the number i was given is 0800 408 0088 (and click on option 1) and guess what I get an answer machine saying the department is opened between 8:30am and 16:30pm (why am I getting such message during working hours).

I'm almost in tears due to the frustration i have been through over the last 3 weeks with lie after lie.. I'm not asking for someone to build me a rocket and send me to the moon. I simply need a box removed off my land and 4 weeks later I'm still waiting....

Can some please help!!!!!

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 14 (419 Views)

Re: Green Cabinet Removed OFF my land

check with a solicitor first, a) that it is 100% ON your property, and b) that you can therefore remove it - as all requests to the owners have been ignored - then rip it out and dump it at the closest recycling point

probably, posting your intention to do that on Facebook , i.e. an ultimatum, with photos, will lead to its swift removal

Superuser
Message 3 of 14 (413 Views)

If its a distribution cabinet (& its proven to be on your land & not council land as it should be), it will probably take several weeks to move. The necessary permits will be required to move the cabinet. It may be that half the ducting in the pavements plus any road crossings may also have to be relocated, along with the drop lines to all the existing customers.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 14 (383 Views)

nodrogd wrote:

If its a distribution cabinet (& its proven to be on your land & not council land as it should be), it will probably take several weeks to move. The necessary permits will be required to move the cabinet. It may be that half the ducting in the pavements plus any road crossings may also have to be relocated, along with the drop lines to all the existing customers.

Pretty much this, how exactly did it end up on your property, how is it you didn't notice they were digging up your land, or is this land you have now purchased from the local authority with the cabinet already in place, i'm sure there would have already been a line in that agreement somewhere about the cabinet remaining there, or are you referring to public highway that borders your property but isn't actually within the bounds of your land, a photo might help us better advise you, and as pointed out this will not be an overnight job in the least

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 5 of 14 (356 Views)

If a solicitor can confirm the cabinet is on your land I would do the following.

Write to the VM registered address ( you can find this from the companies registrar) using registered mail, giving them one calendar month to remove the cabinet and claim back the solicitor's expenses. After this time if there is no reply or nothing done, I afraid it's your own expense to get someone to remove it. Take copies and photos of all documents and cabinet.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 6 of 14 (351 Views)

A mixture of generally good advice but as mentioned already there are some very basic issues which need sorting ie:

Is the box actually functioning.

Was the thing on your garden when you moved in - if so didn't you notice it and ask your solicitor about it when deeds were scrutinised.

If it was installed while you have been living there - how.

Legal advice is required but as also previously mentioned if VM are required to remove it and fail to do so you might have to stand the cost but you will have the option of recovering costs from VM by suing them (easy but be confident of winning and they will not contest it).

Clarification and any update would be of interest.

Good luck with it.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 14 (289 Views)

When I got the house the green cabinet was already in the front garden. It is on my land and my land register indicates that the green box is inside my premise. I did not ask for it to be removed as I wanted to move quick with the property purshace at the time. I did speak to my solicitor at the time regarding the cabinet box and he confirmed it's on my land and I have the right to ask for it to be removed.

I checked the box and it's a functional one, apparently it's and amplifie box of some sort it have 4 cables coming up from the ground.

I have lost all patience with Vigin Media and feels that all my efforts have been exhausted. Might just have to take matters into my own hands.

Thanks all for your feedback.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 14 (279 Views)

I'm going to ask for the @ModTeam to see if they can get the Forum Team to assist.

Before taking matters into your own hands I would seek legal advice from your solicitor as to your options.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that if you do simply "rip out the box" as some on here have suggested, you could actually end up opening yourself up to litigation.  Not least as you will end up physically disconnecting anyone downstream of that box until it can be replaced, which means Virgin will end up having to compensate those customers for loss of service.

It strikes me that the box could not simply end up where it is by accident as Virgin Media are required to seek planning permission before placing their equipment.  While you may indeed have been after a quick purchase, at the end of the day you still need due diligence in investigating matters such as this.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 14 (278 Views)

Well if you do take matters into your own hands (what ever that veiled comment means) then you will be personally liable in civil damages and in criminal law for any damage caused to VM's property and consequential losses. I would think carefully about your next steps.

VM would only have put an equipment box on private land if they had permission to do so. The previous owner of your house may have given VM wayleave to install the box for which VM should be paying the property owner a nominal rent or made a one off payment. That wayleave will bind all subsequent purchasers of the property for ever and ever.

If that is the case the Solicitor acting for you should have discovered this in his searches before you purchased and warned you about it. Certainly you should have asked about it and ensured that you got the issue clarified before you purchased. But you said that you were rushing to purchase. And the inevitable consequences have materialised.

Your best course of action now is to go back to your Solicitor and try to track down what exactly has happened. It may be that the Solicitor will have to write to VM at their registered office. (as Tudor has suggested) and get this sorted for you.

The Forum Team will pick up on this post in due course and offer to help. Until the exact position is known all other comment is speculative.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Message 10 of 14 (267 Views)

[ Edited ]

Information on Wayleaves taken from

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/restrictive-covenants-wayleaves-and-easements/

Wayleaves

Wayleaves grant the right for services to pass under or over land. They are usually in favour of the Statutory Undertakers. Some exist in perpetuity. Others are time limited. Most have a procedure allowing either party to break the agreement after a certain period of time but this is often dependant on there being an alternative route or siting available. A wayleave will often show up in the details contained within the Land Registry. Redundant wayleaves can be extinguished by the Lands Tribunal.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos