Menu
Johnny1983
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ftth

Hey virgin
Does your fibre go straight to your customers homes in radcliffe manchester. M26 3AW postcode. I just woundered if your fibre runs straight to my home or to the street cabinet still?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ftth

Johnny1983 wrote:
Hey virgin
Does your fibre go straight to your customers homes in radcliffe manchester. M26 3AW postcode. I just woundered if your fibre runs straight to my home or to the street cabinet still?

Depends, is it a new build or is it a really old part of the network, FTTH is only done on new additions to the network, you won't actually see any difference in speed anyway so it doens't really matter if its FTTC or FTTH

shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Johnny1983 wrote:
I live an old build terrised house.
So im guessing it goes to cabinet. Then to my home?

Thats how FTTC works, the fibre goes to a green street cabinet and is then converted to a signal which can be sent via the coax cable down to your property, in FTTH the fibre terminates at a box on your property before being converted to coax and entering your home

shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Johnny1983 wrote:
Im not sure. Correct me if you are able to.
The boxes in my area are grey. They date back from nynex and ntl. Am i right? Or have you recently updated the cabinets to green? Im asking. As we still have the grey boxes scattered around.

I haven't updated anything, i don't work for VM, if they are really old boxes thats possible, i know the currently installed cabinets are green, to be fair the colour doesn't really matter too much as its the internal guts which do the work, if you're in an area dating back to NTL then you definitely have FTTC and not FFTH

All Replies
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Johnny1983 wrote:
Hey virgin

Depends, is it a new build or is it a really old part of the network, FTTH is only done on new additions to the network, you won't actually see any difference in speed anyway so it doens't really matter if its FTTC or FTTH

Johnny1983
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Johnny1983 wrote:

Thats how FTTC works, the fibre goes to a green street cabinet and is then converted to a signal which can be sent via the coax cable down to your property, in FTTH the fibre terminates at a box on your property before being converted to coax and entering your home

Johnny1983
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The boxes in my area are grey. They date back from nynex and ntl. Am i right? Or have you recently updated the cabinets to green? Im asking. As we still have the grey boxes scattered around.
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Johnny1983 wrote:

I haven't updated anything, i don't work for VM, if they are really old boxes thats possible, i know the currently installed cabinets are green, to be fair the colour doesn't really matter too much as its the internal guts which do the work, if you're in an area dating back to NTL then you definitely have FTTC and not FFTH