Menu
DaveG81
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fibre optic cables

Hello,
Not sure if this is on the right board but I have a query about the fibre optic cables in my street.

We've recently had the cables installed in the pavements on our estate. I've noticed that outside our house the 'CATV' box they've installed at the edge of our front garden lines up with the telephone socket in our living room. However this isn't our main socket. Our main socket is in the hallway.

Everyone else's in our street seems to be lined up with their main telephone socket.

Will this cause a problem for me when I want to install Virgin Fibre Optic broadband??

Thanks
Dave
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fibre optic cables

No. Not at all. The entry point to your house can reasonably be anywhere you want, so long as you don't expect it to be too high up. You may get longer cable runs on the house but that is what I have and it is all neat and unobtrusive. VM installers do not work at heights. And bear in mind that the VM broadband/tv sockets and telephone sockets are entirely separate from and use entirely separate circuits to the BT system.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The other thing to mention is that Fibre Optic Broadband in existing cabled areas is actually Fibre-to-Cabinet, so the drop line from the cabinet that will come into your house is not fibre, but copper coaxial. Your nearest fibre node could be several hundred metres away, as node cabinets serve several slave cabinets. Only completely new build areas are getting Fibre-to-Home at present.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

DaveG81
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's great. Thank you!
0 Kudos
DaveG81
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

My house is a new build. It's 2 years old and they're still building on my estate. Would this effect anything?
0 Kudos
Scotscoder
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

No it shouldn't. You will find majority of ISP install their cables at this point so it shouldn't affect your process on getting services from Virgin Media. Have you spoken to the sales team yet?

Kieran

-----
iOS and Android developer. Often known as the whiz of Excel in my working office.
0 Kudos
DaveG81
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
No i haven't spoke to them yet but I will.

Thanks again
0 Kudos