Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Do You Trust The Cloud

Being something of a Luddite and also a non-risk-taker I have never made use of the so-called 'Cloud'.   Why would I want to entrust my important data to someone else's computer servers?

Articles like this only serve to reinforce my attitude.   http://www.itpro.co.uk/security/28192/cloudflare-bug-leaks-personal-info-from-120000-sites?_mout=1&u...

Do you trust 'The Cloud'?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do You Trust The Cloud

because their servers and data centres cost 1000s more £s then your puny PC & PC desk?

ask yourself which is more likely to crash and lose /corrupt all your data  or get overrun by malware,ransomware, or left on the bus, or away on some opportunist thief's toes

a) your PC

b) the whole amazon/ google / whatever super resilient cloud 

if you are seriously paranoid, use 2 clouds, or 3.... 

I have stuff in dropbox, google drive, amazon cloud.. and there are other free ones I don't bother with - like one drive, pcloud, mega...

the only cloud that it was wrong to trust was the wonderful value added one from our very own ISP Smiley Happy

the one risk you should be aware of ( with any USA based servers) is that they are open to inspection, so not a great place to upload those games & movies you got from that  amazing free source your mate recommended 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I think you are wrong about US servers and in any case most of them are now spread out worldwide. Apple would fight tooth and nail to give access to any government agency's that wanted iCloud data, you only have to look at the recent FBI case.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

TL;DR no.

The cloud policies on offerings such as Microsoft's etc is on bother point for me, I don't trust them to hold onto my hard drive backups (that's what I have a bunch of USB enclosured SATA hard drives for.) Some companies can fight tooth and nail if they want to regarding giving access, others' will give it freely.

When it comes down to it, hard drives are cheap, so why rent access to what you can buy cheap? The cloud is simply storing your files on someone else's network - bringing in the matter of trust. But also - I don't want to have to pull down an an entire hard drives worth of data via the Internet. When one of my hard drive fails, I can replace it with a like for like model and drop the system image onto it rapidly (the cloud isn't capable of that.)

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Addams Family Version-2.jpg
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

OK here''s a counter argument 

PC games:  I used to need 2 copies of all the installers, so at least 2 drives, plus all the patches, all the notes as to which patches were cumulative, which had to go in a set order, all the no CD cracks & notes.... all the game saves + notes on where the save folders lived

Now they are all in steam or origin, probably about 5Tb worth if I was mad enough to want to download everything I've ever bought. the steam/origin clouds stores the games, and the patches, and my most cases also the saves. Dropbox has my backup saves.

If I change PC or want to replay an old game is it just one fast download and good to go, no searching for DVDs, backup drives, patching instructions...

ok so there's a faint chance they go out of business & I lose stuff - I'll take that for the convenience

yes HD are cheap but they still take up space, can still fail without warning, and with games now at 50GB each you don't get that many on a drive.

I could make a similar case for "storing" movies at Netflix rather than faffing around with blu rays, players, discs, rips, downloads.... 

and for photos, music. I have the entire 10+ years family photos collection on both Google and Amazon - totally free- so no need for a backup strategy to preserve all that irreplaceable stuff in multiple drives. 

my entire MP3 collection ( 60+Gb) is uploaded to Google music - again that was completely free) and accessible on multiple devices via apps, also 99% of it is on Spotify and thus available again on multiple devices via my Spotify subscription. that is so much better than a shed full of round shiny things... or having to maintain correctly ripped and tagged duplicate Hard drive copies of everything

for me it's convenience and security traded for a small loss of privacy and of stuff going wrong. I'll risk whoever trawling through our photo albums as a trade off for the risk of losing them all to ransomware.

I was going to add that there's some stuff I don't put in the cloud, like bank account access but to some extent I do; whenever I am using on line banking I am trusting the technology and when I store codes in Last Pass I am trusting their safety standards.... 

now can I interest you in some spare 2TB drives, - one careful owner....lightly scrubbed  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

PS, as I have never suffered from, or understood, the compulsion to take nude selfies / make sex tapes and then store them in the cloud, that's one less "exposure" to worry about .

I don't see our albums of welsh mountain pictures appealing to anyone, except maybe the odd sheep fancier Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

PS _ i missed off e-books from the previous post. for amazon

for amazon books there is the excellent cloud based whispersync feature, and also I can safely remove any kindle book from any device, knowing that the cloud copy is intact.

for my not-from amazon books, they are all in Calibre Library freeware and a copy of the database is synced to my Dropbox, so again I can pull down any book to any device anytime via the excellent Calibre Companion app. Reading positions are synced through dropbox by the Moon+ Reader app so once again there's the convenience of the cloud in action. If I read in the other app that I like for epub & PDF - Bookari- it also has a cloud storage and sync feature.   a paper book with a paper bookmark or page corners folded over seems so archaic Smiley Happy. &  I could even cloud-read library books for free across multiple devices via Overdrive if I wanted to.

I have not yet succumbed to the amazon dash re-order buttons yet, though we've joked about getting a Pedigree Chum one for my son and training his dog to manage the re-ups Smiley Happy

Tudor
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well I store all my system backups on one NAS using Macrium Reflect. All data is stored on another Synology NAS and most is auto replicated to iCloud. I travel a lot, just seen I did over 25,000 miles in the air last year, and iCloud is very useful to access my data easily anywhere. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

i developed trust in the cloud & specifically in dropbox over time

I began with using it as a backup for various documents and spreadsheets - users manuals, cashflow forecasts... then after a long spell of no issues, I thought - well let's made the dropbox version the master copy ( as you can recover any mistaken delete within 30 days )- from there it went oto- well as dropbox is on multiple devices, it should be safe to have the docs etc only in dropbox as I can always boot a different PC and recover a local copy...

now, pretty much all of what used to be in My Docs is now only  in dropbox instead, with selective snyc controlling how much is duplicated locally on other devices...

I have still not lost anything. I have recovered from a couple of errors that would have been less recoverable from without the dropbox restore deleted items feature.

& I am up to 11+GB free storage; each time a get a new device I generate a new referral , a new VM mailbox, and install on behalf of another one of my budgies Smiley Happy. it is then also useful as a new PC setup aid. I can pull down essential shareware & ultilites installers & codes from dropbox onto the new device, along with app data config folder copies for VLC player &  foobar2000, so I don't have to re-do hot key assignments etc. all the info & apks for how to install Google services on Fire tablets is in their also, for new device setup ease.

it's also great for non-critical log-in hints.. if I am on tablet & want to sign into a web site that's not been accessed in that device/browser combo before, I can peek into dropbox & I am good to do- no need to go boot up the PC for a clue.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

& I am up to 11+GB free storage;

I thought the limit for free storage was 5GB.  Have they upped it again?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos