Menu
SiRowley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Digging to live? Village getting Virgin. Yes I was shocked too!

Hi all

Stick with me on this, I'll soon get to the point.

I lived back in Yorkshire until 2005. Literally outside my house was a BT cabinet AND an NTL cabinet. ADSL was still king. Little did I know then that cabinets would be absolutely critical to everyday life.
In 2005 I moved to a village in Gloucestershire. Beautiful place .... apart from the internet.
No cable. No fibre coming. 

In 2013 fibre comes along. Oh no. We are a Market 1 area, meaning we have to pay more than everyone else for our fibre broadband!

Now .... to my point.

Unbelievably, I see Virgin digging up our roads in the village! Staggered?
Confirmed by laying their cable from our nearest town to our village.

I phoned up to ask for a timeframe to go live. Virgin couldn't give me one
You see once you are out of contract, you HAVE to pay over £42 minimum for your fibre and line in a Market 1 area. No calls. Especially when you can only get 20Mb maximum (3 kids destroy that speed within seconds of getting home)

From digging to live. Any ideas?
I saw this thread
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Street-dug-up/td-p/3203236
He gets a PM on it, so still none the wiser

Any help, please, before I go bankrupt on the excessive out of contract charges to plusnet

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Digging to live? Village getting Virgin. Yes I was shocked too!

VM seem to be getting a lot of outlying villages close to their existing infrastructure into projects now, usually supported by local councils. You will also be pleased to hear that VM are installing fibre-to-home in these new areas (the services convert to coax in a box on your front wall). There is currently no phone service on these new builds, although rollout of an IP based phone service is imminent.

These new areas usually only go live when the entire build is complete, so it depends how many villages are in the build plan as to how long you will need to wait.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
SiRowley
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Digging to live? Village getting Virgin. Yes I was shocked too!

Thanks nodrogd

Not quite the question I was asking.
Ours is a village of 900 established homes, with no new build additions.
They are digging our roads up as we speak and are currently halfway around the village

0 Kudos