Menu
Inyxzeee
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Coverage Checker

Hi, I'm looking to change broadband provider over to Virgin Media but the Coverage Checker on their website says their broadband service is unavailable in my area while other coverage checkers say I can get their service in my area. Also all my other neighbors on my street can get/have Virgin Media. 

0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coverage Checker

if your neighbours do have virgin would ask them if they show you a peak time speed test 30 to over a 100 pounds a month is a lot money.who are you with now..

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Inyxzeee wrote:

Hi, I'm looking to change broadband provider over to Virgin Media but the Coverage Checker on their website says their broadband service is unavailable in my area while other coverage checkers say I can get their service in my area. Also all my other neighbors on my street can get/have Virgin Media. 

Perhaps VM saw this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/12/customer_claims_to_have_been_missold_fibre_broadband/ and decided they could do the same sort of thing.

Have you actually asked your neighbours what sort of service VM actually provide. It may be worse than the service you currently have!

Caveat Emptor!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Coverage checkers are notably inaccurate as far as cable is concerned. Even if only one house is serviceable in a road, they seem to add the entire postcode area.

There are also areas like Bedmond in Hertfordshire, which a couple of the checkers show as cabled. The area build was abandoned before it was completed, so there is a pipe going to the centre of the village which is empty, with an empty cabinet at the end.

Simple answer is to register at CableMyStreet & see what response you get. VM's postcode checkers should be far more accurate than comparison sites.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos