Menu
Reply
  • 2
  • 0
  • 1
Cerys999
Joining in
1,753 Views
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Complaints about streetworks

Hi. Can anybody direct me to who I need in order to make a complaint. Virginia are carrying out works laying new cables in the street. My newly valeted and waxed car ..along with my husbands is now covered in all sorts or dust and dirt from the works. My house windows which were cleaned for a price of 20pounds is now also covered in a lovely dust . I work shifts...I'm unable to sleep during the day due to the noise which has now been ongoing for at least 10 days. To top it off I was blocked in my drive today and due to having to walk was late to pick my son up from nursery...had a lovely soaking in the Welsh rain!now I understand that work needs to be carried out...but surely I shouldn't be out of pocket...losing sleep and suffering for this when I'm not even a customer!thanks in advance x
0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.68K
  • 61
  • 266
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
1,745 Views
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks


Cerys999 wrote:
Hi. Can anybody direct me to who I need in order to make a complaint. Virginia are carrying out works laying new cables in the street. My newly valeted and waxed car ..along with my husbands is now covered in all sorts or dust and dirt from the works. My house windows which were cleaned for a price of 20pounds is now also covered in a lovely dust . I work shifts...I'm unable to sleep during the day due to the noise which has now been ongoing for at least 10 days. To top it off I was blocked in my drive today and due to having to walk was late to pick my son up from nursery...had a lovely soaking in the Welsh rain!now I understand that work needs to be carried out...but surely I shouldn't be out of pocket...losing sleep and suffering for this when I'm not even a customer!thanks in advance x

Well you can call CS but there isn't anything they will do regarding your cleaning costs, its not like VM will come around and cover everything with dust sheets, if the noise is only during normal work hours there also isn't anything they can do, if they are drilling and digging up roads at midnight you might have a valid complaint and all work hours are decided by the local authority, what was in the way of your drive, if it was a van you could politely ask them to move it and they will do that, if its work thats being carried out involving digging then there isn't much that can be done regarding this and you would have had to ask them prior to them digging if there was going to be any issue getting out of the drive and moved your vehicle, i'm not sure what it is you're hoping to get out of a complaint other than to be told the above

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2
  • 0
  • 1
Cerys999
Joining in
1,735 Views
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks

My issue is that it took 15 minutes to move their vans...they could have just knocked the door before work and we would have moved the cars!! If they had given us prior notice I would not have paid to have vehicles and windows cleaned...I would have parked our cars on the street!now my drop curb has been blocked..I have struggled to get my double buggy over the wires and mouse round the vehicles!! When I did ask to get my car out I was told they were busy and I'd have to wait!
  • 529
  • 1
  • 11
Forum Team
Forum Team
1,710 Views
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks

Hi Cerys999

 

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm sorry to hear of the experience you've had while the works are being carried out in your street. I apologise for any inconvenience and upset this may have caused you.

in the first instance you can speak to the site manager, who should be able to resolve most issues there and then.

 

Should you have any issues doing this or aren't able to locate the site manger then please speak to the Street Works Team on 08708883116, option 3. They will be able to assist you further. 

Many thanks

Ian_LP


The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules



0 Kudos
Reply
  • 7
  • 0
  • 1
Beardie_Branson
Tuning in
1,456 Views
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks

Cerys,

I had the same problem with the vans this morning. My daughter was let for school because one the staff didn't move his van for 5 minutes after being politely asked to do so. He seemed to think it was funny to walk as slowly as possible to the cab.

One solution to all of this, boycott Virgin!

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.68K
  • 61
  • 266
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
1,448 Views
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks


Beardie_Branson wrote:
Cerys,

I had the same problem with the vans this morning. My daughter was let for school because one the staff didn't move his van for 5 minutes after being politely asked to do so. He seemed to think it was funny to walk as slowly as possible to the cab.

One solution to all of this, boycott Virgin!


One person boycotting virgin won't stop network expansion Smiley Tongue

But by all means

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 7
  • 0
  • 1
Beardie_Branson
Tuning in
1,439 Views
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks

Ha, ha, ha...

Who said it's just me boycotting?

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 4.27K
  • 101
  • 1.14K
frank_gm
Community elder
1,430 Views
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks


shanematthews wrote:

Beardie_Branson wrote:
Cerys,

I had the same problem with the vans this morning. My daughter was let for school because one the staff didn't move his van for 5 minutes after being politely asked to do so. He seemed to think it was funny to walk as slowly as possible to the cab.

One solution to all of this, boycott Virgin!


One person boycotting virgin won't stop network expansion Smiley Tongue

But by all means


Why are you so happy to make excuses? If it was vans blocking a driveway then this is unacceptable and they should be moved immediately.  

Sub-contracting work does not, or should not, be a way of allowing the organisation who has contracted out the work to avoid taking responsibility. As far as I am aware it is an offence to park across a driveway when there is a vehicle already parked on it. Even if it was actual digging work then the residents should be informed in advance of the work starting. 

And don't give me this nonsense that it is the council's responsibility. If the work is ongoing for several days then it is only the contractors on the ground who will know exactly when a particular driveway is going to be blocked. In the past when the gas and water utilities have carried out major work on our road then THEY have put notices through the door giving detailed information.

VM should take responsibility and penalise the contractors. Any decent contract would contain these requirements.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
  • 1.68K
  • 61
  • 266
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
1,428 Views
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks


frank_gm wrote:

shanematthews wrote:

Beardie_Branson wrote:
Cerys,

I had the same problem with the vans this morning. My daughter was let for school because one the staff didn't move his van for 5 minutes after being politely asked to do so. He seemed to think it was funny to walk as slowly as possible to the cab.

One solution to all of this, boycott Virgin!


One person boycotting virgin won't stop network expansion Smiley Tongue

But by all means


Why are you so happy to make excuses? If it was vans blocking a driveway then this is unacceptable and they should be moved immediately.  

Sub-contracting work does not, or should not, be a way of allowing the organisation who has contracted out the work to avoid taking responsibility. As far as I am aware it is an offence to park across a driveway when there is a vehicle already parked on it. Even if it was actual digging work then the residents should be informed in advance of the work starting. 

And don't give me this nonsense that it is the council's responsibility. If the work is ongoing for several days then it is only the contractors on the ground who will know exactly when a particular driveway is going to be blocked. In the past when the gas and water utilities have carried out major work on our road then THEY have put notices through the door giving detailed information.

VM should take responsibility and penalise the contractors. Any decent contract would contain these requirements.


Thing is, it IS the local authorities who are required to notify the residents in advance, VM do from time to time drop a courtesy leaflet through your doors to let you know but they are not the ones required to do it, depending on what work was being done and where the vehicle was parked and for what reason its acceptable for it to take 15 minutes, as someone who has actually worked in traffic enforcement as a traffic warden, utilities vehicles are generally granted permission to park almost anywhere aslong as its in relation to the work being actively carried out as the equipment in the vehicle being used may not have much range and certain work can't be interrupted, for example dealing with fibre optic cables, we only have 1 side of the story in regards to why it took 15 minutes to move the van, without context its not really useful information

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.68K
  • 61
  • 266
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
1,426 Views
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaints about streetworks


Beardie_Branson wrote:

Ha, ha, ha...

Who said it's just me boycotting?


Well, unless you're going to convince a couple hundred thousand to boycot while making sure nobody signs up with VM, you're not going to affect anything of note for VM's figures

0 Kudos
Reply