Menu
Bartman007
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Check out Virgin Media in Ireland

https://www.virginmedia.ie/bundles/broadband-tv-phone/

Have that feeling we are being fobbed of here in United Kingdom, we are still part of the EU (until Article 50 is signed and two years needed to finalise the deal).

Surely its still the same company, is it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information I provide is available on Google Search, I just make it simple for you Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Check out Virgin Media in Ireland

Bartman007 wrote:

Have that feeling we are being fobbed of here in United Kingdom, we are still part of the EU (until Article 50 is signed and two years needed to finalise the deal).

Not sure what being part of the EU has to do with completely different infrastructures, they can handle speeds we can't, there is a reason companies like Dell have offices there Smiley Tongue

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Bartman007 wrote:

Its still part of Liberty Global. However the packages are different, costs are different so what they pay will be different. They also are on (more or less) IPV6 -  although its a fairly ropey implementation at this point. Check out their forums for a shed-load of issues (many consumer devices still want an IPV4 address). They offer VOIP rather than PSTN connections...

The good news is the differential will likely INCREASE , probably quite substantially thanks to Brexit. LG UK (Virgin Media UK) already have 7 million quid to find thanks to the exchange rate variable since the referendum.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Bartman007 wrote:

You talking about the 360Mb broadband? What makes you think it isn't happening here?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Future-speeds-of-VM/m-p/3216651#M131151

"we believe a soft launch of a 300 Mbps download speed product is underway"

"This does not make the HomeWorker tier redundant, as our understanding is that Virgin Media are probably going to upgrade that to be a 350 Mbps service"

Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Strangley enough for those who say that VM Ireland is completely separate  http://store.virginmedia.com/networkexpansion.html

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

Strangley enough for those who say that VM Ireland is completely separate  http://store.virginmedia.com/networkexpansion.html

Yes but the company that was taken over and bought into the Virgin Fold had a completely different infrastructure in place.

@Kippies - There's nothing wrong with the IPv6 side.  What's ropey is how they continue to provide access to IPv4 e.g. using DS-Lite

This makes users think that it's IPv6 that's the problem, but it's the CGNAT for IPv4 that's causing the damage.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
fawinds
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

We are. Where is FTTH (Fibre To The Home) deployed in the UK? Nowhere. UK ISPs charge exorbitant fees for obsolete technology. Virgin Media is NOT fibre, it is HFC. Even BT Infinity is NOT genuine fibre, they deploy fibre to the cabinet but from there to your home the technology is obsolete copper wire. Whereas FTTH is available in many cities around Europe and is been deployed quickly as it has been identified as a future-proof technology. No UK operator is willing to spend money on it.

I have a holiday home in Spain where I get FTTH at a symmetrical speed of 300 Mbps. upload/download. Virgin Media in the UK does not even offer a 10% upload. For €40 I get from Orange in Spain, besides the above, a phone line with unlimited landline calls and 1000 minutes to mobile phones. We will pay from 1st November £40 for Virgin Media's lowest cable speed, 70 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload, and a landline with no inclusive calls.

It's not just Ireland, it's everywhere, this is the great British broadband ripoff.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

fawinds wrote:

We are. Where is FTTH (Fibre To The Home) deployed in the UK? Nowhere. UK ISPs charge exorbitant fees for obsolete technology. Virgin Media is NOT fibre, it is HFC. Even BT Infinity is NOT genuine fibre, they deploy fibre to the cabinet but from there to your home the technology is obsolete copper wire. Whereas FTTH is available in many cities around Europe and is been deployed quickly as it has been identified as a future-proof technology. No UK operator is willing to spend money on it.

I have a holiday home in Spain where I get FTTH at a symmetrical speed of 300 Mbps. upload/download. Virgin Media in the UK does not even offer a 10% upload. For €40 I get from Orange in Spain, besides the above, a phone line with unlimited landline calls and 1000 minutes to mobile phones. We will pay from 1st November £40 for Virgin Media's lowest cable speed, 70 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload, and a landline with no inclusive calls.

It's not just Ireland, it's everywhere, this is the great British broadband ripoff.

Well said.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

fawinds wrote:

Virgin will be providing FTTH on new parts of the network, sure it doesn't help us people on the older parts of the network but it will be there Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
fawinds
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Will be...

I have not described plans or intentions. I have described FTTH already deployed elsewhere in Europe since at least two years ago.

When will I have FTTH in central Edinburgh? Long wait I guess.
0 Kudos