Menu
djequinoxb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Cable my street myself

I am a virgin media installations technician at Mcnicholas construction at the Cotswolds depot... My home address is a new housing estate and has never VM cables laid. Thing is, its frustrating as I know that around 100 houses are using BT or sky out of no choice of their own. Its frustrating driving home in a VM van every day and tenants/home owners constantly asking me when VM is laying cables. I'm pretty sure there is no cabinet in the vicinity but behind our estate is another housing estate with full fibre VM. I live in a house that is literally 30 feet away from the VM estate with only a 6ft fence seperaring the 2.... I'm seriously considering laying my own consulate and feeding my own cable to the nearest pit behind my house and cabling my house.....

Is this allowed?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable my street myself

i highly doubt it
0 Kudos
djequinoxb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Why not? I know what I'm doing lol
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

you wouldn't be authorised. you wouldn't be insured, and you wouldn't be working for VM when you did it.
0 Kudos
djequinoxb
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That's fair enough I guess, I would never do anything that I'm not allowed to, its just frustrating being a tech but not a customer... As an employee/contractor I'm entitled to the complete package for only £15pm and I'm stuck with only 150kbps with BT bb..... Its just really frustrating knowing I can sign up 100+ houses if they just lay the cables Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

While its frustrating & possibly looks a simple job, VM's network planning is built around cabinets serving a defined area. If you start bolting on houses from another road this is how utilisation problems start. Not to mention what your neighbours would think about you hijacking the service from the next road that they have no access too. Or indeed that you somehow had "preferrential" treatment as a VM contractor.

It is VM's property, & if there is enough interest from your street & the capacity can be made available you could end up with the whole street getting it anyway.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
djequinoxb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes that's what I though. I have been in touch with VM sales team today and I'm hoping to get it processed soon. I am allowed (according to virgin) in my own time gather names, addresses and email/phone numbers for the 100 residents to help assist them in gaining enough interest. Thanks for all the help guys Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

you are allowed to ask them to register on cable my street. I'd be careful collecting personal information. If you do that you have DPA rules to follow.
djequinoxb
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

OK so door to door assist on filling in cablemystreet info... Show them how and let them fill it in in front of me. All I'm doing is trying to help myself and many ithers Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mossman
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

apcyberax wrote:
you wouldn't be authorised. you wouldn't be insured, and you wouldn't be working for VM when you did it.

And you wouldn't be working for VM after you did it (as I suspect VM would see this as gross misconduct and a matter for summary dismissal).

0 Kudos