Menu
JustGav
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Cable my street and why it is disconnected from common sense :)

I appreciate this is not in the right forum, but finding any information on this is near on impossible.

Having lived in an area that is constantly (not commercially viable for BTopenReach) and I had given up on getting anything better than 2mb, but in the last few days I've noticed there has been a dig just outside the house to connect up a few new houses in a new development.

Reaching out the council regarding the existing few houses cable has yielded the usual brick wall of 'well, an existing development would get state aid funding, and a new build just has to be done with the supplier'.

My frustration stems from the fact that nobody seems to be able to be sensible and go 'oh wait, we are going past some houses who currently don't have ANY option and if we offered it we would get all the business'...

I'd be happy to discuss this with someone from Virgin, and I'd even be willing to PAY to get the last 50m's of cable put to my front door, but with all of these things they are hidden behind webpages that provide no information other than submit a query, which of course has the automated answer of 'we will let you know..' cue going round in circles.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable my street and why it is disconnected from common sense :)

you might not want to pay for the last 50m. It wont be as cheap as you might think. Building works. Permits cable and workers. you may well be looking in the £10000+ mark.
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

How odd that they didn't build to the homes they were digging past.

0 Kudos
JustGav
Joining in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

That was my exact thought as I walked past the dig Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
JustGav
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

If it was even 50m to the box I'd be amazed, having looked at ordinance survey maps and the fact that I can throw a tennis ball at the trench...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

i guess it depends who funded it. It might not of been Vm. if the build company paid for it they might of only paid for the work for there new houses.

VM might expand it after. You'll need to get a spotter out to see what they think.
0 Kudos
JustGav
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

How would one get a spotter, I've just spoken to VM business guy who I can actually say gave me more useful answers than I've had from BT, Gigaclear and Callflow together. While he couldn't tell me much, the fact that I spoke to a person and not a webpage which gives the usual 'We aren't able to yet' already gave me the warm and fuzzies Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

JustGav wrote:
How would one get a spotter, I've just spoken to VM business guy who I can actually say gave me more useful answers than I've had from BT, Gigaclear and Callflow together. While he couldn't tell me much, the fact that I spoke to a person and not a webpage which gives the usual 'We aren't able to yet' already gave me the warm and fuzzies Smiley Happy

Are you sure this is a VM trench that is being dug?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
JustGav
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Very Smiley Happy

The signs had virgin, the planning permission was raised by Virgin and Flomatik. I've done the research on this when I approached the council yesterday

0 Kudos
JustGav
Joining in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Just teasing now.... they have dug another trench across the road to my side of the estate... still guess it isn't going to happen

0 Kudos