Menu
Afterglow28
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable box supplying next door?

Hi everyone, my dad is thinking of getting fibre optic broadband, and I've noticed that the cable box on his house is supplying next door with a few cables coming from it I think, its about 18 inches inside the dividing boundary on my dads wall, we first tried cable TV when the street was first supplied 20 years or so ago, but quality was poor on TV, engineers at the time could not rectify, so it was cancelled.  

My question is, is this normal or should each house have its own box?  My dads house is end terrace to 4 houses in total, I know each house has the round black plastic cap near public path, my dad has had serious problems with these antisocial neighbours and last thing I want is for him to get into a stressful dispute with them over 'his box'.

Thankyou ,

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable box supplying next door?

Ideally each property should have its own box. Not for "internetty" reasons but precisely for the reasons you are concerned about- it can cause boundary disputes.

Wait for staff to pick it up, basically your neighbour needs to be installed properly.

Afterglow28
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou Kippies for fast reply, much appreciated, I'll wait as you instructed, kindest regards, thanks again,

Keith

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

with the box's on the same place it can boundary disputes with 2 people but i would not say other two nope if he has this thing again with his neighbour take it up to the landlord if its a rented place somtimes it was with me with upstairs box is on my wall and they can of put it on the fence and this will be no problem put that a slide the clients don't go in them only the engineers

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Afterglow28
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi David,

Thankyou for your reply, I'm sorry I must not t have explained clearly in my original post, it's just one box, a brown box, I believe this was solely put in when my parents first tried cable tv years ago, my dad owns his house, and next door is rented, that box on my dad's wall, seems to have been wired for next door some years ago by the looks of it, my dad hasn't disputed with the neighbours over the cable box, but over many other issues they have caused.

I can't see why an engineer in the past would have wired from my dad's box for the neighbours installation instead of running a cable through the neighbours lawn and putting their own box on their wall.

Again, thankyou for you help. 

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DavidJWalker wrote:
with the box's on the same place it can boundary disputes with 2 people but i would not say other two nope if he has this thing again with his neighbour take it up to the landlord if its a rented place somtimes it was with me with upstairs box is on my wall and they can of put it on the fence and this will be no problem put that a slide the clients don't go in them only the engineers

I can't understand the content of this post at all! Does anybody?

Really?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Shared drops are common with 2 story flats, but not otherwise. In this situation a share should only be temporary while issues like additional cable pulls or construction issues are resolved.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos