Menu
Well-informed
Message 11 of 16 (150 Views)

Re: Cable Laying Problem

bg2 wrote:

Thanks for replies but not convinced that a lorry with rubber tyres running over cable or  "its very strong" means that in a couple of years time a spade with a boot  behind it will not do some major damage.

Maybe someone from the virgin team can give me a  yes or no to conduit before i get some myself

The conduit they would supply wouldn't stop a shovel with a boot behind it anyway, not much will, VM won't do any hardcore burying on a residential line, personally i had it routed behind a fence out of the way, should have got them to do the same

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 12 of 16 (140 Views)

My cable was originally installed a few inches deep and damaged by a garden fork. When a VM engineer investigated the fault he said the cable should have been burried a spit and a half below ground level. That was several years ago so I don't know if the standard has changed.
0 Kudos
bg2
Tuning in
Message 13 of 16 (118 Views)

Thanks for your reply didn't realise the conduit virgin use would be so flimsy. Do not have a fence at front of property so not sure what you mean by "had it routed behind fence out the way, should have got them to do the same" ?
0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 14 of 16 (111 Views)

bg2 wrote:
Thanks for your reply didn't realise the conduit virgin use would be so flimsy. Do not have a fence at front of property so not sure what you mean by "had it routed behind fence out the way, should have got them to do the same" ?

I mean that you should have had them route it somewhere out of the way, be it behind a fence or close enough to a wall/drive that you're not going to hit it accidentally, they can even attach it to a wall etc, there is normally an option, unless you live in the middle of a field that is Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 15 of 16 (107 Views)

If you live in the middle of a field you are probably in "the sticks" and VM services will not be an option anyway.

Provision to rural areas is not a priority for Liberty Global.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and
I Remember Things.
0 Kudos
bg2
Tuning in
Message 16 of 16 (63 Views)

Just an update on ducting problem for anyone who`s interested had an engineer call on Monday thank you Michael J K for arranging that .Unfortunately  he  was not aware what my problem was, fortunately l was at home so was able to tell him l just wanted some ducting to cover cable unfortunately he did not have any with him but promised to get some dropped off.  Ducting arrived on Wednesday as promised.   Will have to cut ducting length ways to wrap around cable, looks to be twice as much as l need so then plan to wrap another piece over first piece to seal and double ducting should give decent protection to cable.  

0 Kudos