Menu
bg2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16 (350 Views)

Cable Laying Problem

Hi had cable to house installed few weeks ago and not had chance to tidy up until today and found cable was only about 1" down and not in any conduit under soil, gravel and 1 slab.

My question is would virgin get conduit sent to me so i could finish job myself and if so can conduit be cut to encase cable already in ground.

If not might just buy some pipe to encase cable myself ?   

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 16 (341 Views)

Re: Cable Laying Problem

Judging by posts in this forum it seems to be quite a regular practice now for cable installers to not bother with installing a conduit and to just leave the cable either on the surface near a hedge or, as in your case, buried in a shallow grave.

I doubt whether VM will send you any conduit for a DIY job but you might persuade them to send the installers back to do it.  If the cable is not causing any problems where it is and you are simply worried about it coming to harm being in contact with the soil then let me allay your fears.  The cable VM use is incredibly rugged as I've witnessed myself.

When they did my cable pull the cabinet was on the other side of the road and before they pulled it through the underground conduit, they measured it out on the surface and to my horror left it looped in the road.  Several cars and lorries ran right over it but when I inspected the cable there wasn't a mark on it and there was no deformation.  I reckon you could probably run a tank over it and not cause any damage.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 16 (335 Views)

yeah its very strong cable 

0 Kudos
bg2
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16 (321 Views)

Thanks for replies but not convinced that a lorry with rubber tyres running over cable or  "its very strong" means that in a couple of years time a spade with a boot  behind it will not do some major damage.

Maybe someone from the virgin team can give me a  yes or no to conduit before i get some myself

0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 16 (312 Views)

i would just go for it my self. they will refuse in the long run there hopeless just my own experience with them.   

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 6 of 16 (303 Views)

I know it's nor always possible, but you should always oversee contractors like a hawk. It doesn't matter who they come from it just seems that they will take the easy way out and do as little as possible. I have found that actually talking to them, treating them like real people and of course supplying tea and biscuits works wonders.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 16 (297 Views)

Tudor wrote:

I know it's nor always possible, but you should always oversee contractors like a hawk. It doesn't matter who they come from it just seems that they will take the easy way out and do as little as possible. I have found that actually talking to them, treating them like real people and of course supplying tea and biscuits works wonders.

Totally agree with all that.  Fortunately being retired I can fill that role and I always make my presence felt when any contractors come here.  I am quite large and tend not to get any arguments when I 'lay down the law' ... in a polite way of course.   Smiley LOL

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
bg2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16 (291 Views)

l agree did all the tea and chatty bit but was concentrating on what was going on with cable being fixed round outside wall of house and work going on inside and missed the super quick install from path to house wall.  Not a big problem compared with getting install in the first place.

0 Kudos
bg2
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16 (243 Views)

Hi could someone from virgin team please give me a reply yes or no can l have some conduit to bury my cable.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16 (220 Views)

Hi bg2 sorry we missed your post.

I'm sure we can sort this out for you.

I'll drop you a private message within the next few minutes for more info. Just click the envelope icon to the top right.

Best,

Michael_JK
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos