I am not 5 years old.

I just want someone to fix my service.

Thanks

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Badge no thanks

Absolutely. I've campaigned in the past for the badges to be skills/expertise related. But no - the brainios behind the scheme wanted to make this site "fun" - ignoring completely why people really come her, for support.

Boy do I hate this sort of social media thinking injected into something as important as technical support.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

GrannnyBI - You only posted about your TiVO poblem yesterday.. The Forum Team don't work Sunday and will anyway take up to a week to get to your post and possibly test your connection (C130 is a network error and is not uncommon, you can't fix it). If you can't wait that long then phone the fault in on 150 (VM lines) or 0345 454 1111 - TV faults and ask them to look at the connection.

As for the badges - just a bit of fun, and yes tech support is important but it doesn't have to be po-faced. The system is automated too. Don't take it so seriously even if you don't like it. Just ignore it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
zvonok
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree about 'Badges' ....

Yes I agree support given here is important but above all  - it needs to be correct - or at the very least a decent suggestion for the problem...

Taken to the extreme - a 'Super User' could  have reached this grade with complaints and completely wrong information. The 'enquirer' could believe that the rank attained is relevant to the veracity of the answer given!?

(I hasten to add that having read many of the solutions given by 'Super Users' they are of extremely high value - NO offence meant to any of you personally!!!)   ...ZVNK...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

None taken - though I recognise a back-handed compliment when I see one. The one rank that does signify competence is "Superuser". We don't rise to the rank we are selected by VM for our known competence in replying which VM Forum Team staff evaluate before we are invited to join the SU programme. And I for one am not reluctant to apologise or correct where I can see I have made a mistake. I read all the follow-ups to my post just to be sure.

Ranks and badges are not synonymous. The badges do serve a function (albeit not very well because they are bit like school gold stars) of indicating welcome to the Forum and how often a poster has contributed. I would agree that the ranking ought to be more indicative of competence. But as with anything like this you follow advice at your own risk. It couldn't be any other way. You'd do that even if you were taking direct advice from a friend.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
skeggman
Up to speed
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

GrannyB1 wrote:

Please don't send me a sticker.

I am not 5 years old.

Thanks

Quite right, if VM did their jobs properly and offered adequate support, this forum would be redundant. Anyone motivated by a 'fun' virtual sticker should have a long hard look at their life. 

Mind you, without this forum, where else could I criticise VM with such abundant ease and try to persuade as many people as possible to cancel?

GrannyB1
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That's really helpful.
Thanks
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

GrannnyBI - You only posted about your TiVO poblem yesterday.. The Forum Team don't work Sunday and will anyway take up to a week to get to your post and possibly test your connection (C130 is a network error and is not uncommon, you can't fix it). If you can't wait that long then phone the fault in on 150 (VM lines) or 0345 454 1111 - TV faults and ask them to look at the connection.

As for the badges - just a bit of fun, and yes tech support is important but it doesn't have to be po-faced. The system is automated too. Don't take it so seriously even if you don't like it. Just ignore it.

Yes, tech support is important, it is just a pity that VM are so poor at it so often. And then we, the paying customers, dare to be "po-faced" when we hit a brick wall.

But, never mind, we can get badges instead of solutions.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

skeggman wrote:

GrannyB1 wrote:

I am not 5 years old.

Thanks

Quite right, if VM did their jobs properly and offered adequate support, this forum would be redundant. Anyone motivated by a 'fun' virtual sticker should have a long hard look at their life. 

Mind you, without this forum, where else could I criticise VM with such abundant ease and try to persuade as many people as possible to cancel?

They haven't got a badge for that!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

skeggman wrote:

GrannyB1 wrote:

I am not 5 years old.

Thanks

They haven't got a badge for that!

Perhaps we should have a competition to design one.     Smiley Very Happy

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos