Menu
Problem sorter
Message 1 of 8 (204 Views)

BT To Hive Off Openreach

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39228115

So BT have decided to do the 'right' thing before the regulator forces them into it.  Supposed to be happening later this year.  It won't affect VM of course but I suspect some other ISPs will be rubbing their hands in glee.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 8 (188 Views)

Re: BT To Hive Off Openreach

according to the [not] well informed or is that lazy Telegraph and I quote

Openreach controls the fibre connections, ducts and pipes behind the UK’s broadband infrastructure and sells access to BT’s rivals, such as Virgin Media and Sky.

Tony
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8 (183 Views)

-tony- wrote:

according to the [not] well informed or is that lazy Telegraph and I quote

Openreach controls the fibre connections, ducts and pipes behind the UK’s broadband infrastructure and sells access to BT’s rivals, such as Virgin Media and Sky. 

Smiley LOL  Classic!

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 8 (180 Views)

According to the BBC report "Openreach will still be 100% owned by BT who will set its annual budget.  Openreach will have its own board and make its own investment decisions"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 8 (176 Views)

Graham_A wrote:

According to the BBC report "Openreach will still be 100% owned by BT who will set its annual budget.  Openreach will have its own board and make its own investment decisions"

moving paper to satisfy OFCOM or whoever - another full structure of management that has to be paid for and answerable to nobody but themselves

ebay did it with paypal the other year - just smoke and mirrors 

Tony
Superuser
Message 6 of 8 (158 Views)

Nothing changed then, hardly surprising.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superfast
Message 7 of 8 (123 Views)

[ Edited ]
Cannot see how this will make more money available for investment nor why it would encourage Openreach to put more into rural areas where demand and profit is lower.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 8 (115 Views)

This has been a fiasco. And a serious disservice to the British population, especially those in rural areas.

But hey, as long as those in the South of England and more importantly, corporate shareholders are well served, stuff any one who has the audacity to move North of the Watford gap. Or South of Guildford.

With FO companies hungry for the large conurbations, the situation will only get worse.